Fair Asking Price for Switchblades?

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
huckles

Fair Asking Price for Switchblades?

Post by huckles »

Hi Folks:
I started collecting good quality stilettos about 10 years ago. I bought mainly Italian, but some German and others too. I purchased almost solely knives crafted in the last decade, but did little buying in the last three years or so. My collection consists of many types of knives including swivel bolsters, swing guards, pick locks, leverlocks, shot shell pullers, catalanas, hubertus, etc. Sizes were typically 9 & 11 inch, but I also bought a number of long/big ones.
Knife handles were typical for 2010 - 2015, including some abalone and MOP. A fair number of these were limited runs. A lot of these are not readily available anymore and unfortunately, I need to sell off much of my collection.

The problem I am having is how to fairly price many pieces. I want to price so it is a win/win for the buyer and me. I don't want to be greedy and overprice but I really don't know how to estimate a fair market value for a lot of these where I can't find comparable knives currently in the market. Is anybody here willing to provide some honest feedback on pricing some specific pieces as I prepare to post these for sale or have any ideas on how to gain that expertise? You can respond to the thread or PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks.
Chuck
JimBrown257

Re: Fair Asking Price for Switchblades?

Post by JimBrown257 »

Post a shot of what you have. You will get some feedback.

My first suggestion would be to try your luck on Ebay until they chase you off. If you can sneak a few auctions by them you will get your best return, by a mile, there.

Unfortunately, anywhere else you are guaranteed to take a hit. With more modern knives, there is less demand and more supply so to compete with established sellers you will have to sell them way less than what you got them for (unless you got them for really great deals). When someone is trying to sell a large collection quickly, I usually advise adding up what you think they are worth, divide by 2, and offer them to a dealer.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You're close to having enough post here to be able to sell here. Post some pictures and I'm sure you'll get some estimates of worth for what you have and probably some offers. My guess is if your knives are in very good to new condition you could probably get what you paid for them.
2024 candidate for president
huckles

Post by huckles »

Thanks for the replies JimBrown and Sammy. Has anybody purchased from or explored the site "Arizona Custom Knives"? They have an option to post your knives on consignment and handle pics, write-ups, etc. Their fee is 25% of the sales price, if your knives sell. https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/

Chuck
thom

Post by thom »

Sell them here. You might be able to find the value at Arizona Custom Knives, but 25% is crazy. I would go the sharperdeals.net for an auction. I think there fee is minimal.
Like sammy said, post pictures here. You will get fair and honest offers.
Thom
moog55

Post by moog55 »

Personally, I would not want to agree to a 25% consignment fee. You're likely to sell the knives here and maximize your return.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

There are a few FB groups where they knives sell in a day it seems and yes modern current production ones. Take a look at 3Kinves site as they have most of your items listed and remember two things: their prices is in Euros and there is a 20% VAT that you have to take off to get the shipped to US price. They sell out instantly on most items so that has to be a fair price.....
huckles

Post by huckles »

Tom19176: Thanks for the heads-up on 3knives. Great range of products and after you account for VAT and Euro, it appears to be reflective of current market. Especially useful for out of production modern items. Makes me want to seek out more knives!! Oops. Damn obsession.
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

If you have any picklocks with a bayonet blade and b/w horn I may be your guy! :)
Also, I've been looking for a good swing guard in similar horn with a bayo blade, too.
rnchesnut

Post by rnchesnut »

Try posting pics on the Talkblade buy and sell for your cost. Also Sharperdeals auctions and lastly there are groups on Facebook i.e. HDC's switchblades and others you can easily join and sell your knives. I suggest Facebook groups as there are many many collectors and dealers selling or showing pics of there knives. Good luck. Rob. Lastly if you have limited edition knives that are no longer available you might get more for them.
DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

Have you made a list of the knives you want to sell?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

He has been listing things all week.