MIKOV KITS

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
HDC

Re: MIKOV KITS

Post by HDC »

HEY,HEY i,ll save you 10,000 got this vise from harbor freight {i think} sort of a cheap way to mill
fits right under a sears drill press, not that expensive, but it could have changed.... put the router bit or end bit in the drill press use the Y nob to make the vise go forward and back, its not too hard at all check out the pics
.........HDC
Attachments
v3.jpg
v3.jpg (299.12 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
v1.jpg
v1.jpg (308.14 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
v2.jpg
v2.jpg (429.34 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
stay thirsty my friend
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

If you use a router bit or the dremel bit in the drill press to carve out the scale. Go slowly and let the bit do the work! A drill press is designed for downward pressure, not sideways pressure! I'm not putting down this practice.....HEY...That's how I do it too. i'm just trying to help save your bearings.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

eastcoastsniper wrote:If you use a router bit or the dremel bit in the drill press to carve out the scale. Go slowly and let the bit do the work! A drill press is designed for downward pressure, not sideways pressure! I'm not putting down this practice.....HEY...That's how I do it too. i'm just trying to help save your bearings.
I said the same thing but hit "back" instead of submit :roll:
eastcoastsniper

Here's what I have on hand...take your pic.

Top to bottom

Black palm wood
Bocote
eastern cedar
Pure white hollywood
Carbon fiber
cocobolo
HDC

Post by HDC »

eastcoastsniper wrote:If you use a router bit or the dremel bit in the drill press to carve out the scale. Go slowly and let the bit do the work! A drill press is designed for downward pressure, not sideways pressure! I'm not putting down this practice.....HEY...That's how I do it too. i'm just trying to help save your bearings.
Very true indeed, but if you go slow it works good, plus a drill press is alot cheaper than a mill, even at sears, it seems they are always having a drill press sale :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
stay thirsty my friend
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Wow...thats quite a rig you got there HDC. 8)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

What are the others? :)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

eastcoastsniper wrote:Here's what I have on hand...take your pic.

Top to bottom

Black palm wood
Bocote
eastern cedar
Pure white hollywood
Carbon fiber
cocobolo

Cocobolo...is nice. :)
butch

Post by butch »

when I build mikov or leverletto kits I usuallt use my pouter table with a 5/16 bit for an accurate cut but a dremel works.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

butch wrote:when I build mikov or leverletto kits I usuallt use my pouter table with a 5/16 bit for an accurate cut but a dremel works.
I have access to a table router...its a craftsman...the kind where the router is stationary....I have no idea how to use one....how do you follow a line when you are cutting from the bottom and cannot see what you are doing...I understand how you would run the edge of a board down the fence and make a dove tailed joint.
eastcoastsniper

Springmesser wrote:
butch wrote:when I build mikov or leverletto kits I usuallt use my pouter table with a 5/16 bit for an accurate cut but a dremel works.
I have access to a table router...its a craftsman...the kind where the router is stationary....I have no idea how to use one....how do you follow a line when you are cutting from the bottom and cannot see what you are doing...I understand how you would run the edge of a board down the fence and make a dove tailed joint.
Buy a drill press so you can see the work in progress from above :)

I'll be starting the tutorial later tonight :)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

eastcoastsniper wrote:
Springmesser wrote:
Buy a drill press so you can see the work in progress from above :)

I'll be starting the tutorial later tonight :)
I did....just finished putting it together...its got a laser. 8)

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I love that Leverletto. I was was looking at that in your collect alot. Those scales are pretty awesome! :D
Leverlock switchblades
butch

Post by butch »

Springmesser wrote:
Kinda hard to explain but basically make your cutting marks on both sides of the scale,that way youll have a guideline to work with.I also have a drill press but still prefer the router table because of the cutting fence I get straighter more accurate cuts.
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

I keep meaning to buy a milling vice ,but always spend the money on something else.
I mark my scale and line it up with the router bit ,then clamp a piece of scrap wood to the
drill press and use it as a fence. You don't need it ,but it does make thengs easier. I do several
passes going down about 1/16th or less each pass until I get the depth needed.