missamans Marlin

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

missamans Marlin

Post by Vagrant »

Marlin Papoose in Stainless
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

:D 8)
missaman

Post by missaman »

That looks familiar....
Thanks Mr. Vagrent
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

Very nice.....
Is that the original clip for the gun? Or was good ol' Vagrant looking for a way to put more rounds in? :twisted:
missaman

Post by missaman »

The original clips are seven rounds the one pictured is 15 rounds. I found it at a local gun show.
Missaman
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Missaman,
Is this a different one than we shot when you were here? Or did you refinish it?

Sam H.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Mine is uglier.Image
But I do have a few spare mags for it :wink: Image
missaman

Post by missaman »

Sam its the same gun we shot.
It looks the same as when we shot it with crappy found in a desk ammo :D
Missaman
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Recently, Old Bill bought a used Marlin Mod. 60. I took it home and cleaned years of fouling out of the action, cut barrel and mag tube to 16-1/4", reinstalled front sight. Here is where I made my mistake-I forgot to test fire it! When I did, the gun would not eject. I called a retired gunsmith friend and asked him about it. He said to throw it away- the older models used a pot metal carrier that also acted as the ejector. When it wears out, it's almost cheaper to buy another gun than to get the parts to fix it. He also said that the later models did not have this problem.
I have never owned one of these before, so had no experience with them, other than seeing them sold in every store that sold guns for the last 30 years.
Bummed Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have no knowledge of the specifics but, the Gunsmith I use seems to enjoy making a part when it's no longer available. A couple of my guns that other gunsmiths said were "not repairable" [or broke again a few shots after they fixed them :( ] are now working fine :)
He's even made the part a little different to ensure that he is less likely to have to make it again, [and always explains the mods to me and why he made them]. He warned me one part could not be improved much but, he made a blueprint of it so I could give him a call when it broke and he could make one without me having to bring the gun in. Such Artists are a Treasure to find :wink:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

This is a major part, or I would make it. I may try fixing it up, yet.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:This is a major part, or I would make it. I may try fixing it up, yet.
Bill
I have lots of things I "may try fixing up" I sincerely wish you better luck than I have :!: