Cracked Ice/ Pearlex

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Cracked Ice/ Pearlex

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all...Speaking on the imitation pearl scales, sometimes when an "older" knife is described, the scales are referred to as cracked ice and "newer" scales are referred to as pearlex. Going along the theory that "they don't make them like they use to", are there any differences at all? Thanks in advance.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Re: Cracked Ice/ Pearlex

Post by METALGOD »

i dont think they are different they are both just plastic , the older "imitation pearl" as i call it looks more like real pearl then the new stuff. someone coined the term "cracked ice" many years ago and thats what some people call it but is really imitation pearl and nothing more, imitation pearl is what the italian makers were trying to replicate not cracked ice LOL.
john

Post by john »

What Bernie said!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Bernie and John. I guess they have never changed the recipe for plastic in all these years lol.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many years ago (early 60's maybe) there were a lot of companies putting out knives with the "cracked ice" thing. German and US companies.
To me it had a pearlish color but not really pearl grain if that makes sense.
Imitation pearl (Pearlex) is really going for the real pearl effect, where I feel the cracked ice is it's own thing.

This is what I'm thinking of cracked ice. It's all acrylic with variances in swirl pattern etc. Just my 2 cents worth.
Attachments
CI-1.jpg
CI-1.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 11130 times
CI-2.jpg
CI-2.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 11130 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have been wondering about this too. I got a really great looking IMOP from one of the supply sites and it smell a lot like fiberglass. like It has that new boat smell. Does anyone know what this stuff is?
Attachments
0a.JPG
0a.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

A polymer maybe?
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have always had a "soft spot" in my heart for the "Cracked Ice" look on a pocket auto. I had a number of folding pocket knives with the Cracked Ice polymer scales when I was a kid, I truly enjoyed them.
Fishtail Picklock