Hafa adai

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
whippersnapper

Re: Hafa adai

Post by whippersnapper »

Fish been biting, Pete? How's things going?
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Hey Terry, haven't been doing much fishing the last couple months, had to go in and have a few things removed from the bladder so I've been laid up for a little bit, hope to start back sometime next month, thanks for asking, meanwhile there's plenty of fresh tuna steaks at the local markets.

My wife went to the library in Agana yesterday so she dropped me off at the boat basin and I talked with a couple of my fishing buddies for a while, their catching some big jacks and the schools of atulai are running strong, they'll still be around next month so maybe i'll get lucky and catch a few. :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sorry to hear about the bladder problems but hopefully you're winning the battle, Pete.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Not familiar with atulai, but Google says they're great to eat.

How do you prepare fish over there without your mammoth brick BBQ complex :mrgreen:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I too hope the bladder problems resolve themselves Pete.

I love catching jacks. As you know, in a previous life I took people offshore fishing, much of which was billfishing. I used to enjoy annoying billfish snobs who fished sailfish tournaments with 20 lb line and time from hookup to release scored points. Typically they could get an average 40 lb sail in under 5 minutes (dead boat). These were fantastic anglers and I always enjoyed their reaction when I asked How long it would take them to boat a 40 lb jack with 20 lb line. After their anger subsided I would usually say something like take that 5 minutes and add a 0 - right? Profanity often followed :D

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Good morning guys, it's good to hear from you. As far as the bladder problems go, I've been battling bladder cancer since 1999, Doc found some small bumps during a checkup over here and wanted to nip them in the bud, so to speak, he also noticed that the ole prostate was growing a bit too so he said I should get that trimmed up while he had the garden hose in there, that's what's taking a long time to heal, it doesn't get in any hurry! it takes a few months to get over that surgery!

David,
The way the locals smoke the fish is on top of a 50 gallon barrel,they use a wood called tangan tangan, it grows wild on the island and takes over like kudzu did in Ga, it's great for cooking though and there's plenty of it!:-)

Jim,
The fish are bluefin trevally, their part of the jack family and very good eating, the locals just call them jacks. There's also one called A GT, or giant trevally , A 40 lb one would probably strip a reel with 20 lb test in a matter of minutes, their very strong fighters! sad to say there's no GT's around here,they get some nice ones off the coast of Australia though.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Pete

Not been here as much lately but took a look in on hafa hadai.

Sorry to hear about the health my freind and wishing you a speedy recovery on that be thinking of you .

Its funny that every time i see your posts I get hungry :) ......first the giant grill avatar now in my mind I can taste those bluegills being roasted on a drum with indigenous wood and it has sent me to the cupboard for a tuna butty (sandwich ) :)
Always good to hear from you teq so take care of yourself .

My best

Ian
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Hello Ian, always good to hear from you mate!

Here's a little video of the area that I fish in, the fish being caught is what the locals call jacks, it's a very good eating fish, I don't go out on those rocks though, no,no, the area I fish is down a little bit and much closer to the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mowaGosf0