Paul Chen

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

Paul Chen

Post by stepdaddy »

Can anybody shed some light on the quality of Paul Chen swords. Was thinknig of adding one to the collection. Not going to go to the poor house to add one but he's got some cheaper items and I was just wondering if the quality is still there on the lower end items.

SD
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Don't own any of Paul Chen's work, but have seen a few of his Katana's over at http://www.dragonsedge.biz/product_info ... cts_id=120 and from what i have heard from my sensei, they are the best he has seen within the price range. My sensei is Japanese and a huge collector of old Japanese swords. His most priced piece is said to be dated around the 16th century, and we won't even let me or anyone else handle it.
I have an order in for the Blind Fury walking stick katana and it's only $100us. Can't wait.

~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Razor:

I'm eyeing up the Practical Ninja Chen sword. I love a short straight blade and at 34" I think it's a great piece. Can be found for just under $160 I'm starting to long for one more and more each day.

SD
samurai1227

Re: Paul Chen

Post by samurai1227 »

Paul chen have almost only practical and replica katana's the price is not so high its from $60 to $1000. Some sword's he have are good but other are just replica's but when you want to give more than $200 than you have a realy good replica or pratical sword whit paul chen if you give more than $800 than you have a very good replica or practical sword but he don't have real hand forged sharp katana's
Pirat

Hanwei is the Best that I have ever own

Post by Pirat »

Hanwei of Paul Chen is are of the top of Real swords on the market. Actually Hanwei is the only one who give us an opportunity to see and feel something that calles "Real Sword". Hanwei have sword from 150-1500$ range of prices,so you can choose any sword by your budjet.

I is not True that Hanwei doesn not have Hand Forded Sharp Katanas on the contrary almost the all top models are Hand Folded and Forged and of course very sharp as part of them were made for Hard and Light Tameshigiri.

Hanwei not stops at Reall Cutting swords but also makes Iaito. The Meijin Iaito Model of Hanwei is approved by Famous Sensei.
Read about it here ( on the main page his history )
http://www.livesword.com
Gepetto

Post by Gepetto »

I have a Paul Chen Practical Plus, and have been impressed with the construction, especially that of the tsuka, often a weak point in inexpensive katanas. The leather tsukaito is wound very tight and the tsuba is well made. The tsuka fits my hand perfectly, and the overall balance is excellent. I think they struck a very good balance of ergonomics and economics. The only caveat I will mention is the need to be vigilant with application of oil. Since the blade has a "cutting polish" (and is extremely sharp!!), it is somewhat more prone to rust than a top-notch display polish. The good news is that if a bit of surface rust pops up, you won't be out an expensive polish if you touch it up with some 1500-200 wet-dry. Incidentally, my own experience with surface rust and wet/dry has proven that the blade has a genuine hamon, not a ground-on simulacrum. I heartily recommend this sword as a light-duty cutter, Iaido weapon or a display piece.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

I have a Practical plus also. I have it as a display sword. Got it used. Well made, great feel, balance and construction.

Don't pay retail, Internet dealers and secondary markets sell for way under MSRP.