19th century DIRK

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

19th century DIRK

Post by button_man »

Hello everyone..... I just picked up this nasty-looking dirk at a local flea market last weekend. No markings of any kind; no sheath either. Amazingly, the blade and guard are absolutely tight -- not the slightest bit of play or wobble. The seller told me that the knife came out of an old barn in Cumberland County, Maine. (I figured that I couldn't go too far wrong for $35.)

Can anybody offer insight as to the approximate age, and any other information..... even speculative? My entirely uneducated guess is early-to-mid 1800s, but this is just a guess. I've seen any number of very old knives; but they are usually kitchen knives, hunting knives, etc. This knife is the first one that I've bought that appears to be this old and that was clearly intended for 'serious business'. The Civil War? Piracy? Who knows...... any help much appreciated !

(The photos show each side of the knife) (OAL = 10 1/8" / blade = 5 7/8")
Attachments
dirk__C.jpg
dirk__C.jpg (474.26 KiB) Viewed 8675 times
dirk__B.jpg
dirk__B.jpg (591.75 KiB) Viewed 8675 times
rithvich

Re: 19th century DIRK

Post by rithvich »

It's very crude. Tough thing about knives like this is it could be much older then your guess or it could have been made by a teenager learning iron work in the 1970's.

Let us know what you turn up.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I think that it could be old, or not that old,very hard to say,my I ask is there a edge on it?,please keep up in the loop.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I suppose that it could have been made within the last 50 years or so; but the seller (whom I trust somewhat) mentioned that the whole place was loaded with antique items and that there wasn't anything there that was new, or even new-ish. Yes, it could have been just a story.... but I have bought good stuff from him in the past and never been disappointed. This is the same guy who sold me that nice Latima (which I mentioned in another post) for $45.

There is no real edge on the dirk. I can draw it firmly across my fingers with no harm whatsoever. BTW, you can see in the photos that there appears to be some sort of primitive cement or bonding agent right around the hole in the guard, to hold the blade firmly in place.

I've thought of sending the photos to one of the arms experts that you see on "Pawn Stars" or "Antiques Roadshow" but those guys must be flooded with hundreds of requests every year from people wanting appraisals or information. I doubt if they reply to anything unless they have a chance to pick up something rare and valuable from someone who doesn't really know what he has. I was hoping that somebody here would know something. If I find out anything more, I'll come back and post it.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

thank' for the up date.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Looks really crude, like a blacksmith put together from pieces of scrap. Unfortunately, just because something may be old does not mean it is valuable or has historical significance.