What is it?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Cleezy78

What is it?

Post by Cleezy78 »

Greetings All,

I was hoping you all could help me identify this blade. It's a little over 2ft in length. We picked it up at the local souq... Don't know much about it... looks to me like a bidri. I just have not found anything that looks the same w/ the handguard and pommel the way they are... The handguards seem to be on the swords more often... Anyways, all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (348.2 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (348.2 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (209.87 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (779.39 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
gravknife

Re: What is it?

Post by gravknife »

Cleezy78

First of all Welcome to talkblade

What a truly beautiful dagger....fine quality on both the hilt and blade
That looks like traditional wootz steel to me and beautifully executed.. 8)

The letters worked into the wootz steel looks to be a personalized owners /makers name on the blade or a Muslim blessing you need to try and get it translated on an Indian blades forum.

There were some all steel hilted knives made in Rhajastan and the hilt resembles some feranghi and tulwar weapons but I can't find the exact type of dagger or shortsword at the moment.
I'm wondering if the shape is unique to the village or town it was made in.

I will try and find my old Wallis and Wallis and Christies books to see if one similar has ever been sold in the past year's.at their auctions .

Not my strong suit Indian knives ,so I am sorry I can't help you more.

Thanks for sharing a fine quality dagger here and let us know if you find one exactly like it.

gravknife
Cleezy78

Post by Cleezy78 »

Thank you for the warm welcome and info! Below is an estimate I received on the blade. I have been unable to find an exact match as of yet.

$400 - $800 (United States Dollar)
Answered within 1 day
Thank you for submitting your item for appraisal. This appears to be a large Indo Persian dagger, with curved double edged Damascus steel blade with Islamic cartouche at center, sheath and mughal India style hilt with knuckle-bow entirely silver koftgari decorated, possibly late 19th century. Similarly decorated tulwars / talwars, shamshir or pulwar can be found all over Persian and the areas formerly controlled by the Ottoman empire. The estimate is base on current auction results. "Asking prices" in the trade can be much higher and vary.
Billy02

Post by Billy02 »

Hi the markings state "Allah" GOD, i think it is Persian or Turkish. it seems like a muslim army weapon.