Dagger date?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jim_mi

Dagger date?

Post by Jim_mi »

Hello all, I recently obtained this dagger and was hoping to learn something about its origin and age. Both dagger and sheath seem well made, and have some serious age to them. All opinions, info, and comments are welcome.
Jim
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
gravknife

Re: Dagger date?

Post by gravknife »

Jim
Lovely double edged fighting blade reminiscent of a ww2 commando dagger but could be much earlier.aa
I am leaning towards German but many Commando officers purchased their own fighting knives from outfitters during ww2 and they had stag handles as the concentric rings on 3rd pattern FS knives caused roll and slip when wet with blood.

Without a makers mark I'm afraid its a bit up in the air until you bump into another owner of one who has found a definite ID.

Check Fairbairn Sykes knives ,and private purchase examples for now .

I absolutely love that sheath that its in ,its a great looking set .
For all I know it could have been a marriage put together using a bootknife guard an FS blade and
Stag handle and had the sheath made in India during the war but i really like it Jim. 8)

Leave it with me and I'll Try and pin it down.

Thanks for sharing it here ,I like the swords and daggers section lit up with new finds.

All the best

Ian
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Thanks Ian. Here is a pic of the pommel, just in case that might help you.

Any logo or manufacturer information on ricasso is obliterated by pitting, so no help there.

An interesting knife in any event, but I always like to know as much as I can about my toys.

The scabbard appears to have not had a belt attachment, but it may have been removed in its previous life.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (324.94 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim

Here are a couple of private purchase Fairbairn Sykes stag handles .
I am leaning towards your knife being a german hunting knife or ww1 trench knife example with the nickle silver pommel cap but its that guard thats throwing me off .It looks more of a modern gerber shaped fighting knife guard,but it could have been used for years for all I know
Its just a bit different than both English and German older knives that spring to my mind.

Cool fighting knife though and like i said i love that tooled leather sheath.

Heres something to compare to for now .

keep well my freind

Ian
Attachments
374.11.jpg
374.11.jpg (76.53 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG (143.29 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
s-l1000.jpg
s-l1000.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Thanks Ian. I guess this one will remain an interesting mystery. None the less, it is a cool knife and a nice addition.
Jim