SKM - Still the best ?

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
PhiladelphiaPhunk

SKM - Still the best ?

Post by PhiladelphiaPhunk »

So , I was doing the dirty chore of cleaning out the attic last week , when I noticed my old Stiletto , opened , stabbed into a rafter. Shocked , I ripped it down , inspected the blade (after years of being stuck a quarter inch in wood , she was fine) and tried the action. She was a little stiff , nothing I couldnt handle. Unfortunatly , the spring had gone south and couldnt power the blade enough , so it took a little bending. Didnt take more than 10 minutes of fooling and greasing to have her back snapping strong again.

Then I got to thinking and wanted to date the knife. I figured it was 11 years old , I know I hadnt seen it in about 7. It got me thinking of the website , I still remember the old interface , red background , large pixelated banners and pics , so many switchies to choose from. As I finished cleaning , another find. An original order form and print catalouge , which also revived the web address for me.

So , 10 years later , the site is still up and the prices are great. But one thing kept me from ordering , the shipping price. Holy cow , is it really going to cost me 35+ dollars to get a stiletto sent my way ? Almost takes the extreme value of the high quality knife and throws it out the door. Maybe its good for bulk orders ? I remember paying less than 10$ when I ordered years ago.

Anyway , here she is , totally revived my interest in autos and led me to this amazing site as well. Looks like a gold mine of info and the B/S/T forum looks great (and might save me from that shipping charge)

She looks dirty/rusty in that pic (shitty cam) but is clean as a whistle , no oxidation. Here is the print catalouge , I have two extras if anyone would like one.

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Rafter knife.

Post by natcherly »

What a great story! Yes shipping does greatly increase the per unit cost. Nowadays I buy from dealers whose volume means that this cost is spread over more knives plus they get better pricing that onesies and twosies buyers. Net cost to me is thereby better. PM sent!
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Cool story, Mr. Philadelphia! I have a feeling you'll get some takers on those other two catalogs. 8)
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. Philly!

You might want to check out Tinys. He sells many AB/SKM products at their prices sans AB/SKM giraffe-ass-high shipping charges.
If he doesn't have what you want in stock, chances are that he can order it for you...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Chosing the best is impossible [but SKM/AB is certainly at the top :!: ]
I've been LUCKY and EVERYONE I've dealt with in this business is AWESOME [and I hope they have felt the same way :idea: ].
It seems the BUSINESS itself [with rare exceptions] is the BEST :D
The Italians, Germans, Austrians, Americans, even the French have ALL been GREAT to do business with :D :D :D
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Not to mention that doing business with Vagrant is also great...

Jim
PhiladelphiaPhunk

Wow , thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I spent the better part of last night / this morning checking out the FAQs and list of dealers. Some great stateside sellers it looks like. Glad to be able to pick one or two knives and only pay for priority mail. I think by years end I will own 1 or 2 more switchies , maybe a Frank B Picklock or a Leverletto (those are Snazzy !!) , definatly need to pick up a butterfly , couldnt find my old Bali when cleaning , kind of disappointing. Im thinking Spyderco , quite a funny design for a bali , wish the Ti Benchmades werent so expensive.

Great looking hound Jarvis ! and Jerr , is your name in reference to out 9 fingered friend ?

Thanks again for the welcome folks !
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

PhiladelphiaPhunk wrote:and Jerr , is your name in reference to our 9 fingered friend ?
Mr. Philly,

I'm afraid ya lost me here. I know not of the "9 fingered friend" of whom you speak. That particular fur bearing, pic-a-nic basket-stealing moniker was bestowed upon my ownself by my ex-brother-in-law more than 40 years agoness... I dunno why! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
PhiladelphiaPhunk

^^ Doh !

Was hoping it was in reference to Jerry Garcia. Hopefully im not the only deadhead on here :) Saw you were from Fresno , lots of deadheads down there.