"Low-cost" stilettos

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jarvis

"Low-cost" stilettos

Post by jarvis »

Are the "low-cost" stilettos on the SKM site exactly as pictured and described with the same blade steel and stainless bolsters as their regular stilettos and with pinned scales and no nail nick? What exactly is the difference between the SKM low-cost stilettos and their regular stilettos?

Grazia!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: "Low-cost" stilettos

Post by Vagrant »

jarvis wrote:Are the "low-cost" stilettos on the SKM site exactly as pictured and described with the same blade steel and stainless bolsters as their regular stilettos and with pinned scales and no nail nick? What exactly is the difference between the SKM low-cost stilettos and their regular stilettos?

Grazia!
Everyone has their own opinion but, I doubt very much if you could tell the difference. The best Black acrylic I ever bought was one of the cheap ones :) Handle options are rather limited :( Pinned scales, No nail nick, Some people have noticed a little more variation in quality of fit and finish but I haven't noticed it myself.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

About the only difference is that you don't get the AB tang etch. From what I can tell, the materials are essentially the same. Have noticed some cheaps have minor fit and finish problems, but in truth so do the AB's. Too many of those are bananas. For the price, the cheaps are (certainly were earlier) a deal.
Zigzag240

Low cost stiletto differences

Post by Zigzag240 »

I just got a 9" black 'low-cost' stiletto, the integrity and action are excellent. However, I noticed that every part, blade/bolster/lock/button/rivet, all have some minor cosmetic flaw. I suspect that SKM/AB Coutellerie create their low-cost models from blem parts off the assembly line.

But this doesn't prevent them from being excellent knives though, I doubt most people would even notice the differences.... the full price versions must be really pristine though...maybe next time.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

SKM do indeed occasionally send one of their regular knives that's been rejected for cosmetic flaws.. but the normal "low-cost" knives are noticably different to their regular line.. the easiest way to spot the difference is the safety button.. unless things have changed since I bought some of them the safety on the low-cost knives is brass coloured as opposed to stainless steel.. you can't take any notice of the pics on SKM's site.. they're mostly photoshopped and not very representative..

All the best
Teddy
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The only "low-cost" switches I have ever knowingly purchased were 13" models. None of those had a brass safety. An examination of some of the parts, especially the backspring, made it clear those parts came from the same source as those used in regular AB and AKC production. Who actually assembled any of these knives is an open question.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Yes.. that's pretty much true of the 13's.. but the smaller ones are substantially different...unless things have changed..

All the best
Teddy