DKD swinguard Vs. Protech Godfather

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hogan

DKD swinguard Vs. Protech Godfather

Post by hogan »

First of all can anyone attest to whether DKD has gotten all its ducks in a row w/ these knives? I read most of the info out there that questioned their overall quality and in the end it seemed a little unresolved. It got hard to seperate fact from fiction.
So how is the overall quality of these knives now? I'm interested in their lesser priced, aluminum scaled model.
Can anybody compare them to a Protech Godfather? I like the overall look of the DKD more, but not by much. Any advice?

~Hogan
Last edited by hogan on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milu

Post by Milu »

I've never handled the DKD but you can't go wrong with a Godfather.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
h1942

Post by h1942 »

I agree. One the few knives I'LL never part with. Hank
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Milu wrote:I've never handled the DKD but you can't go wrong with a Godfather.
Ditto :!:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

Godfathers rule.. Haven't handled a DKD, but there's one or two at the local cutlery. Am going there tomorrow, and will handle one for ya' and report back here.. Although, know in advanced that I'm very partial to PT knives.. Hands down my favorite production knife company.. The DKD Swingaurds do have a pretty classic look though, should be an interesting comparison..
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Ive spoken to a couple of guys who own DKD's and they say only good things about them, (honest people to) on there advice I'm getting one myself shortly, truly though, you only hear rave reviews about Godfathers, dont own one myself though, tough call.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
hogan

Post by hogan »

I should add that this is going to be an everyday knife, not a show piece. It would be a Godfather 921 or the aluminium scaled DKD.
bluefish

Post by bluefish »

I only have the Godson but for a user I would think the God father would be the best choice. Bluefish
bluefish

Post by bluefish »

I have a Godson, very well built knife.
I would think the Godfather would make a better user. The DKD ad calls it a collector's show center piece. Bluefish
TOPFLITE

Post by TOPFLITE »

Like most, I haven't handled the DKD but have carried a 921 (black
handle with black DLC blade) for about 2 years. Unlike many others,
the blade coating is durable with moderate use and the point has stayed
needle sharp (something I was very concerned with before choosing it
as an EDC). The edge is very durable and retouches nicely with just a
little effort. For the same money you could buy 2 GF's and have one
for EDC and one for the case.

Honest, Honey. I'm only going to buy one more...
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

Ok, impressions: The DKD Swinguards are pretty darn nice knives. The action and lockup was most impressive. Felt solid and well made.. Again, the action was awesome, I mean fast and kind of a ssssnniiiiii-krak sound.. I mean FAST.. In person you really notice how long the handle is and how short it makes the blade seem.. I mean you could probably put both hands around the handle, which was too thin for my liking..

Now this is something you can tell without handling one: the blade is really thin and pointy, so unless you stick/jab things on a daily basis, i can't see it being much of an EDC. .. Very nice knife though..

For me peronally i think if you're going to modernize a classic design, you should either leave it alone as much as possible, or just go completely streamline contemporary with it... The DKD is absolutely on par, quality wise, with the GF, but aesthetically, it doesn't know if it wants to be classic or modern.. Kinda like a PT Cruiser, a car i really dislike.. (no offense to PT Cruiser fans/owners..) Whereas the GF starts with the classic design and pushes it in all the directions it needs to go in order to make the knife both aesthetic and useful..

Almost forgot, one of the things which could make the DKD mmore atractive to you as an EDC is the presence of a safety, which the GF doesn't have..

Good luck, either way, you'll have a great knife.. if it were me, I'd buy a GF (or as TOPFLITE said, buy two for the price of a DKD..) Of course if you're like most of us, you'll probably have to end up buying a GF and a DKD Swinguard, just to be sure....

cheers..
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Another thing to consider is the quality problems the DKD's had in the beginning of production. There is a big thread about them here (do a search). I believe it stemmed upon them being rushed out to the market, and there were some other issues with misrepresentation. The quality issues seem to have been resolved (It has been awhile since I have heard any complaints). That being said, I wouldn't buy a DKD sight unseen without first handling the individual knife, or from a person who wouldn't except returns. A Protech, on the other hand, you can just about assure you will get a good knife.
Radius

Post by Radius »

Thanks for the review TR. Since I haven't had the pleasure of holding one, I found it informative.
One question though. Was that one a Phantom LE or the phantom swingguard?
As Whipper mentioned, there seems to be a world of difference between the two. Just curious.
Since I live in TN, (the state that started this whole mess), the thought of an automatic as an EDC is just a dream. However, I do like my Protech Brend 2 as an EDC if I had that option. I have had people drop it because of it's snap when opening. I can only imagine what the Godfather or Brend 1 must be like.

Mr. Hogan, I have to agree with Topflite. Buy 2 of the Godfathers for the price of the DKD. Carry one and display the other.
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

Fishtail Picklock

I am seriously considering a DKD for an EDC "swingguard

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have been looking at something to carry as an "off-duty" defensive weapon. Tough, reliable, with the ability to pentrate deeply. A Godfather seems nice, but the DKD could be reliable as a protector. Again, deep penetration is a factor, along with longevity and edge retention.

scott