Who made the first really solid OTF?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Who made the first really solid OTF?

Post by hollowdweller »

I know most of the OTF's are pretty cheap, but then you have the really nice Dalton's and Microtechs. Does anyone know who made the first really quality one? Was it made in Europe, or is this generation of US makers really making the first ones made to use?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Probably Microtech, the founder did produece knives before 1994 but I'm not too farmilar with Microtech.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

so you guys are saying that the only "solid" OTF's were/are made in the US? weren't there ever any good euro OTF's
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

mrbigg wrote:so you guys are saying that the only "solid" OTF's were/are made in the US? weren't there ever any good euro OTF's

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is the US ones are the only ones I know of that are really solid, and I was wondering the same thing as you. Were any of the euro ones really ever "users"
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Depends which type your talking about. The in and outs were always made by Italian,German and French companies. I'm sure Asian companies also but I think their involvement came later. The exception might be Japan. The first reliable OTF's were made in America By MT and Dalton in the begining I don't think Vero Beach put out an OTF. But these knives weren't in and outs as they needed to be cocked with the charging lever. It hasn't been till fairly recently not counting some custom makers that we have started to produce in and outs. (Geez I feel like this is about belly buttons) We all know how the foreign in and outs perform myself I favor the French Bergeron. The jury is still out on American versions because they really haven't been out that long. And the money being charged for them makes me have some serious doubts that most are being used heavy. I'll wager most are sitting in display cases so its hard to judge the overall longevity of the inner workings. Give it time I guess but I for one wouldn't use a $1,500 Harkins around a construction site. .Lets here it from you guy's that use them. Have you had any trouble or notice any quirks about them?
PB
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

You raise a good point Pushbutton. Not only about OTF's.
How long will the allegedly better, but more expensive US knives hold up over time and heavy use, and will enough ever be really used to be able to tell.

I bought a used 95 LUDT that had really been used and the lockup wasn't very good. I sent it back to MT and it locks up tight as a drum, but it got me wondering about that same thing. I hope some folks who have used OTF's will shed some light.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Vagrant?! Razor?! AWNSER OUR PLEADS!!!
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i was always under the impression that because most of the US companies designs were geared towards military and law enforcement, that they would hold up under rigerous use, therefore the high price of quality. i wouldn't even imagine using a beltrame 777 for an EDC or any thing other than show!

however, a scarab or halo, and others were designed for "on the job" use, weather on a LEO's belt, or carried in combat by the military. these people carry these weapons with the assumtion that they are proven , field tested performers, that are equally as tough, as the price is high!

obviously the goverment isn't going to haggle on price - they pay whatever to get what works best for their personel. these are the people you want to ask weather or not they are up to par for every day hard use!

does this make sense? i don't own any US OTF's - so this is just opinion!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My Ultratech is like new as far as function but showing a little "cosmetic" wear. My M.U.D.T. is the same. My L.U.D.T. has not been used as much and is almost like new. A Boker 712 I sold "gave up the ghost" after a couple months of heavy use, . A Masserin "Old Fashion" Leverlock I sold was fine the last time I heard despite heavy use that almost qualifies as abuse. My Masserin 7" is also VERY tough. A Speedlock clone [O.K. Corral type] had survived 2 years of daily use before the owner moved and I lost track of him. No returns on Hubertus [yet] but a couple were not up to my standards to sell. Italian Leverlocks seem to be very good knives for daily use, especially the ones with steel liners. Only one Italian leverlock arrived defective [wouldn't close] out of dozens of them from several sources, and NO returns.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
The thing about OTF's and the Goverment is myth. The armed forces will give you a K-Bar or Bayonet but thats about it. Any OTF knives you see as being sponsored by Uncle Sam isn't true. Real profesional soldiers buy there Randalls and Brends etc out of their own pocket and I have never heard of any Govt agency issuing OTF's Its all hype to sell knives is all. You see a cop or Border Gaurd carrying a SpyderCo or BM I would bet the farm they bot it themselves. Todays meager budgets don't include high priced switchblades. Don't even get me started on all the special forces and navy seal knives being sold out there.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr PB

thanks for debunking a true "urban combat legend" - so these military guys are allowed to carry, but don't get "military issue" switches? i used to empty beer bottles with this marine friend of mine, and he always said he wasn't allowed to have any non-issue items on him during official training, or duty or whatever, so....i guess thats not true.

not to mention the intense funtionality of some of those MT OTF's, i personally always thought the halo is sooo ugly - like most military hardware - every design feature for function, and efficiency, not fashion or form.

mr vagrant

i got a nice deal on a couple of mini-udt's, both stonewash - a plain, and a combo. these are a gift to myself for quitting smoking for 1 year, and i intend to use them, or at least one of them :wink: also i agree with you on the leverlock, usually ninja snappers, and tight like ya like it! :shock:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

mrbigg,

A non-serrated stonewashed Mini-UDT has been my EDC for a few months now. For that real world duty, it has proven ideal.

Jim
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I have an ultratech on the way, as well as one of the new mini socoms. I'll give feedback on the mini after I get it. Have y'all seen them? Looks like a nice size, like a 3" blade, and the clip point style blade looks like it is pretty utilitarian. I have one of the large, tanto style Socoms too. It is huge, and very sharp and imposing, but the size is almost too large except for maybe chopping tree limbs off or something. :lol:
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yes mr hollowdweller,

i have looked at the socom on may occasions, they look very nice, i was actually considering a folder.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

mrbigg wrote:yes mr hollowdweller,

i have looked at the socom on may occasions, they look very nice, i was actually considering a folder.
M.B.(and I don't mean Milwaukee's Best)

What do you mean exactly? The Socom IS a folder. Do you mean a non auto folder???

Here is a pic: http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=677053