Starting a Collection

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Livvie,

I too am partial to the Italian stiletto. If you decide to go the Bladeauction route, follow mrbigg's advice about the "Known by us in the loop as good ones" thread. Sellers on Bladeauction span the spectrum from horrible to excellent.

Jim
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Vagrant wrote:Welcome to another addict.
I would recomend [not in any particular order];
1 - Italian Stiletto
1 - American "High Tech" auto [several brands are available]
1 - German auto, this will be either "high tech" style [Boker Speedlock]
or leverlock [R. Klass or Hubertus]
1 - Italian leverlock almost German quality for much less.
1 - Russian [probably a leverlock]
1 - French auto [High tech or Stiletto]
1 - OTF [front opening] The Italian ones are the best "bang for the buck"
but eventually you'll want a "big buck" American one.
[Save the French and German until we forgive them for not helping in Iraq]
And that's just to start. There are also Italian "High tech" stlye and then there are also antiques in most catagories. Plus custom made and limited edition knives. And just for fun there are clones/knock-offs from the exotic orient which are cheap enough to throw away if the situation demands it. Once you have those you can decide which you like most and concentrate on various models within that type. Always feel free to ask us here for opinions on anything you're considering and you may avoid some of the beginners mistakes we've all made. [at least I have].
Add adleast one decent balisong (I just got a BM-46 and I flipping the hell out of it)!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is strange. I do not care for Butterfly type knives very much but, I'm sitting here "flippinng" one that was a gift from Tiny. The mood to play with it hit me yeaterday.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Maybe the two top posters have silimar habits (knife collecting, smoking etc.)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Guns ? Old [fast] cars ? Motorcycles? I bet we could make a long list if we tried to.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey you bali-freaks :D sign me up! :D

mr_guano sent me some video's on CD - and all of a sudden i'm actually practicing! unfortunately i was using my tanto with combo edge :oops: not a good trainer!

j-man - how come you've never started a serious balisong thread or topic?
i'll bet all kinds of bali freaks will come out of the woodwork! could be a chance to educate a few people on the finer points of these worthy knives! :wink:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

mrbigg wrote:hey you bali-freaks :D sign me up! :D
j-man - how come you've never started a serious balisong thread or topic?
i'll bet all kinds of bali freaks will come out of the woodwork! could be a chance to educate a few people on the finer points of these worthy knives! :wink:

Mr. Mr. Bigg,

Since you brought it up, why don't you send a PM and ask Mr. Arthas to set up a Bali Forum here, or set up an opinion poll to see if the members here are interested in a Bali-Forum. He sells them, so why not? I have a few myself, I'm interested.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Bonzo wrote:Since you brought it up, why don't you send a PM and ask Mr. Arthas to set up a Bali Forum here, or set up an opinion poll to see if the members here are interested in a Bali-Forum. He sells them, so why not? I have a few myself, I'm interested.
You should really set up a poll, just to make sure somebody writes into that board if I open it. ;)

M.
Racer_X

Re: Starting a Collection

Post by Racer_X »

Livvie wrote:I'm just starting to come into some greenback and starting a collection. What would be some must haves for any collector that don't cost too much greenback? and where are some good places to look for blades?
Hi Livvie..
I'm new to collecting so I can't give you the seasoned advice of the regulars here but I would humbly recommend a Mikov switchblade. I got mine from Tiny's (http://www.tinysusa.com) for around 50.00.
Livvie

Post by Livvie »

yeah i've been looking at tiny's site and debating :wink:
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. ~ There has not been any great talent without an element of madness.----Seneca
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I've always liked Balis but never bothered to post much on them here...being a 'switchblade forum' and all. I'm all for a balisong forum.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome Livvie. Nice to see more Canadians on this forum. I agree you should first get the Italian Stilettos, they have more soul than the US made autos. SKM has a great selection. Tiny has also a nice selection, but don't know if he will ship into Canada.
I have a couple of those Tomb Raider knifes, not bad otf's for the price, but not work horses. Just a novelty item to impress your friends.
They still make a nice addition to anyone's collection.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6