Blade question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gort

Post by Gort »

Rock on brother Vagrant! You know I like those knives,
and the serration is perfect. With all due respect to
the "just sharpen it right and it'll cut rope fine with
no serrations". I've tried them. I'll take serrations.

I only have serrations on my tacticals and my LLs.
A stiletto with serrations would be like a Lambourgini
with a pro-stock hood scoop.
Vagrant wrote:Seat bealts, rope, vines, and other fiberous stuff. Other than that serrations serve no useful purpose. The only really useful combo edge was on the 9 1/2" leverlock. It had a very short serrated section and a lot of plain edge out in front of that. The hollow grind made this knife cut like a razor. [Damn I miss this knife]. I only managed to save two for myself when they were discontinued. I would choose one of these over a Latima because you can USE them. These were fantastic knives. One of these with Briarwood scales would make a great knife for some special group.
[Hows that for a subtle hint]?
-Gort
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Hey! Vagrant, why don't you drop that hint on the"IHT Knife" thread?

The Falcon :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i agree with most of you guys, the serrations don't LOOK right on a sweet blade, ESPECIALLY a stiletto! but for a utilty knife, you can't beat a knife with a serrated section for mowing through stuff.

i think serrated is ok for ballisongs too - makes it more of a challenge to keep all of your fingers intact!!! :P

i've got a few of those s.w.a.t. clones with partial serration - cheap n sharp!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I have an LCC Clone - The serrations on the blade are so wickedly sharp it's downright scary! No joke!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Hey! Vagrant, why don't you drop that hint on the"IHT Knife" thread?

Falcon,
I did slightly mention it but I wanted the thread knife to get finished. Once we all have our thread knife[s] then maybe we can work on a forum knife.
I think a 9 1/2" partially serrated Leverlock with Briarwood scales would be perfect.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I'm sorry. I keep getting the "THREAD" and "FORUM" knife projects mixed up. :roll:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Vagrant,

I have heard you mention those knives before. Can you post a pic of them? Maybe somebody could post one for you??
I would like one like that as a forum knife. Maybe they could convince Dex to make us one.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

hollowdweller,
The return of the 9 1/2" leverlock with partially serrated blade and Briarwood [or horn or stag] scales would be fantastic. [Even if only for a limited edition knife]. The old acrylic scales would also be great, especially the red/black, yellow/black, and black/white. The same holds true for the 8" leverlocks, the old blade and scale options made these interesting to collect, plus they were world class knives. I assume current production is equal in quality but they have nowhere near the number of options. I'm no good at math but to have one of every size, blade type, and scale material on the old knives would have given you a collection of
[probably] over 100 knives, [anyone who can figure out all the possible combinations PLEASE post the total].
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I do like the usefulness of a quality serrated knife... but i am not generally a fan... and a combo edge imo is a waste... i have seen buck make my beloved model 110 into a combo much to my disgust.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

cops and firemen like them, good for cutting seatbelts! they're on everything anymore. i usually don't carry autos, my everyday carry knife is a benchmade mel pardue 350s, yes the s is for serrated, i usually dont carry my autos, when i do it's usually a cheapie, would'nt want to give a good one to a cop, let them find their own. i sold my benchmade autos to pay for my new addiction. italian stilettos, love those stilettooooos!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The 9 1/2" partially serrated was the best combo edge ever made.
The serrated section was just long enough to cut fiberous stuff. The long section of standard blade was great for everything else. The hollow grind made it easy to sharpen and it would take an excellent edge. It was very strong and made a great work knife. It was one of the finest switchblades to ever come out of Italy. I'm sure the current 9 1/2" is also a great knife but it needs the same blade as an option to make it the best. It is the only combo edge I ever liked, and my customers had given me orders for about 5 of them when production stopped. [None of them wanted the other blade options]. The 8" had many of these qualities but less standard blade since the serrated section was the same length as the 9 1/2".