question about new switchbalde

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sclark

question about new switchbalde

Post by sclark »

hello all

I got my blades in :) very nice but i have a question about my switch balde sometimes it don't open all the way :( i have put so light oil in the poivt area. and it still does it :( will this go away after it get broken in more? this normal? or do you guys have a better way of fixing this?

thanks

p.s i'am hooked on blades now..i will be placing a second order :) BUT wife not to happy about it...hehehehe
Waya

Post by Waya »

Keep playing with it,,,(THE KNIFE),,lol,it will loosen in time. Keep it oiled or a shot of wd-40. I am glad you like them. Waya
Walk In Peace Always,,if you can
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

This may sound stupid but make sure you have a tight even hold on the knife before firing.
PB
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. sclark,

Mr. PB is right, few new switches have enough spring in them to be two fingered. By the way, what blades did you get?
sclark

Post by sclark »

hello

yes it seems to be getting better i have been playing with it so much my thumb is sore...hhehee

the one i got was the

9" white Acrylic / Bayonet Blade (Italian Stiletto)
Landsurveyor

Post by Landsurveyor »

Sclark,
Beware of one often joked about fact, buying switchblades really is a highly addictive hobby. Seriously, I'm a former hardcore drug addict and I can already see myself becoming compulsive with this! There are so many different types and brands that you can buy that it's hard for me to know when to slow down and stop spending money. Luckily small cuts on your fingers are the only serious health risks involved. I know that not everybody is the same as me, and as a die-hard conservative I wouldn't dare try to blame others for my own weakness. That being said, watch yourself when bidding on Bladeauction. It's like doing heroin. I've spent over $500.00 in the last month on various knives and accsessories. I made an agreement with my wife not to buy anymore knives for a couple of months or untill my savings can pay for everthing I buy. The next one that I get will be the IHT knife, then a Sandshark. And then maybe a Scarab. And maybe the new OTF from MOD. Oh, and the Severtech sure sounds like a great knife...
I supported the war, and I was right!
sclark

yup

Post by sclark »

yup

i know what you mean i just order some more to...wife is pissed...heheheh
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Landsurveyer,

I can relate, and am thankful it is switchblades and not airplanes that I buy compulsively.

Jim
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

yep! The Visa/Mastercard/Amex folks sure love us switch addicts.
sclark

hummm

Post by sclark »

well the problem is still there ( it don't do it all the time tho) i thought it was gone but no....and it has to do this when you are showing off your knife..:( it seems like it bouces off the locking part when it does this...if you follow what i mean
Landsurveyor

Post by Landsurveyor »

I left out the part where I agreed to cut off the DSL for two whole months!!! I'm using that G**Damned free AOL dial up and I hate it!!! DSL is like cable tv and dial up is like Morse Code. :evil:
I supported the war, and I was right!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Landsurveyor wrote:I left out the part where I agreed to cut off the DSL for two whole months!!! I'm using that G**Damned free AOL dial up and I hate it!!! DSL is like cable tv and dial up is like Morse Code. :evil:
dial up = slow death!
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

sclark,
Try holding the knife with two hands. If it opens without a problem, you may be suffering from the dreaded "limp wrist syndrome". This is where a new switch owner is not properly supporting the knife in their hand. Make sure when you flick your new best friend (and trust me, this and the hundreds of others you will probably buy within the next few months will be your best friends!) you have the back of the knife all the way against your palm. With practice, you should be opening like a pro in no time. :D
Gort

Re: hummm

Post by Gort »

If it really bounces as described, there is probably some
misalignment with the locking tab. Take some graphite and
rub it on the tab. Then open the knife, and close it. Have a look
at where the locking pin scrapes the locking tab. If there's a long
streak either top or bottom or off to one side, you might try opening the locking hole a little bit that direction with a very small
round file, but be careful. Try a few strokes then fire the knife,
then try a few more. If there is no streak, the tab hole may be too large. If that is the issue you could try a little epoxy in the hole to try and tighten it up. You can also peen the hole down a little
but that is an advanced technique, and I'd not recommend it
if you've never tried it.

Conversley, you can also file down the locking tab diameter
on the blade (carefully),
or increase it's "diameter" slightly to the same effect

Good Luck,

sclark wrote:well the problem is still there ( it don't do it all the time tho) i thought it was gone but no....and it has to do this when you are showing off your knife..:( it seems like it bouces off the locking part when it does this...if you follow what i mean
-Gort
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

be really careful if you try what gort is suggesting - i tried that on an 11" stag and made it worse - and i consider myself very handy with that kinda stuff!