Colt M-16 in 420 (ugghhh!)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Andrew

Colt M-16 in 420 (ugghhh!)

Post by Andrew »

Hi guys

Am interested in Colt M-16 except for one thing. The 420 stainless! I believe these knives are designed to be effective in marine environments but come on. Although I have not actually had any personal experience with 420 I don't like 440C (high chromium, low RC) so I guessing I definately won't like 420!

So to the point. Can you guys suggest any particular swithces that meet the same criteria as the M16 but have a steel more suited to general use (even 440 series!).

Due to Aus Customs, specs I need are: Un-assembled, dual action, hidden release, single edge blade.
Keepin' the dream alive Downunder
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

How about a Microtech LCC/DA? More expensive but a great knife available in a number of difft. types of steel. Bolster release is pretty much undetectable
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

How about a Microtech LCC/DA?

And you can try a cheapo clone of it first to see if you like the design.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Andrew, I seen you've joined. Let's all welcome our new Aussie blade bro.
And hollow makes a good point, the LCC D/A doesn't need to be in Kit form. A normal LCC is perfectly legal in Australlia (I've checked up on some laws).

Vagrant makes a good point too (as he always does).
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Vagrant wrote:How about a Microtech LCC/DA?

And you can try a cheapo clone of it first to see if you like the design.

Vagrant,

Interesting you mention that. I never even really considered buying one till I was at a flea market and checked out one of the clones. I liked the size, shape, and feel so well I bought the real thing. Bought a few of the clones later on to give away. Some were terrible, some not bad.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks guys

This Microtech knife looks great, in fact I can't pick one thing I don't like about it. Best price I've seen so far is $173.00USD from theknifestore but they have crappy selection. I believe these knives also come in a manual only version but some of the e-tailers don't say so I don't know?

J-man. Where did you hear that LCC was OK for OZ? Probably wrong to Q your source on only my 2nd post but as far as I know, any knife that is auto (regardless of configuration) is a big no-no over here.
I guess if the action is virtually undetectable then does not matter too much anyway.......the action is actuated by pushing down and turning correct? or is it just pushing down.

I just ordered an Benchmade 886BT (love the styling) which has a spear point blade........although only one edge, is open to objection at cutoms. I will let you guys know what happens.

P.S. Brother lives in Portland OR so I have distinct advantage over other collectors in OZ :wink:
Keepin' the dream alive Downunder
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

There is a manual LCC and a Dual Action LCC. They both look the same though. So Customs would guess it's a manual.