O.T.F vs Folding autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

I don't think I'd be too worried about having any of the DA OTFs in my pocket....they don't easily open by accident ...but never having seen the SAs I can't comment. The "projectile knife" is something that I read about in some of the state laws....I've otherwise never heard of them.
I believe CO2 was mentioned as a source of power....otherwise I would imagine you'd need a bloody strong spring. Does anyone know about these?

I don't think I'd fancy someone holding a SANDSHARK against my gut and firing it....it looks nastily sharp to me.
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

mr_edge wrote:"and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade"

...That's funny. Up until a few years ago, when I began collecting and soaking up the wealth of knowledge the good folks on this forum have provided, I was lead to believe this was also the case. I thought I was the only one that had believed this.
Mr. E. That rumor goes back at least as far as 1963-63 when I was in Jr. High school.
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Teddy wrote:I don't think I'd be too worried about having any of the DA OTFs in my pocket....they don't easily open by accident ...but never having seen the SAs I can't comment. The "projectile knife" is something that I read about in some of the state laws....I've otherwise never heard of them.
I believe CO2 was mentioned as a source of power....otherwise I would imagine you'd need a bloody strong spring. Does anyone know about these?

I don't think I'd fancy someone holding a SANDSHARK against my gut and firing it....it looks nastily sharp to me.
I don't know about CO2, but the Russian Spaetznatz knives were a ballistic knife that used an extremely strong spring. You would just about get a hernia cocking the thing. Some of these ballistic knives were made in Florida some years ago, and they were outlawed by the state. Switchblades, however, were specifically legal. Last year a Florida District Court Judge made a ruling that they were the same thing, so with a stroke of the pen, switchblades became illegal. There is a big movement going on by the Florida Cutlery Association as well as AKTI to get this ruling reversed. This is a very important issue for all who claim to love and care about the switchblade. AKTI (American Knife and Tool Institute) is like a NRA for knife rights and I srongly encourage all to join and support it. I will put the link on this post so you can check it out. Everbody, if we don't support this organization, switchblades will be back in the dark ages again like in the late 50's and the 60's. You just couldn't find them then, everybody was too paranoid.
http://www.akti.org
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

It seems to me that no ONE person should be able to set a precedent....they let 'em do that over here too...the "justice" system sucks...no matter where you are.
Thanks for the info about ballistic knives I'd never heard of 'em.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade"

For the record the original Stilettos were FIXED blades anything else is "Stiletto Style" no matter how it opens.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I seem to recall seeing an ad for a knife that actually DID launch a blade out the front...

Am I nuts or what?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Apparantly not!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Teddy,

There are many who would argue with you...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

JerrBear wrote:I seem to recall seeing an ad for a knife that actually DID launch a blade out the front...

Am I nuts or what?
JerrBear,

I hate to say this, but you're not nuts, at least (or "adlest", as they say in Kanuckia) not this time. I saw the knife too. There was a flurry on The Switchblade Forum about a ballistic knife that was offered on BA about 6 to 9 months ago. I don't recall who was selling it or the country of origin, but was definitely there. Maybe Ragtime Red has a better memory.

Greyblade
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Vagrant wrote:"and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade"

For the record the original Stilettos were FIXED blades anything else is "Stiletto Style" no matter how it opens.
Vagrant, yes you are correct, orginal stilettos were fixed blades, and that applies today. I have just been surprised about how many other people had heard the story that was floating around my Jr. High 40 years ago, and what the source of that particular myth is.

Jbear, yes, a ballistic knife shoots the blade out the front. The first one I saw at a knife show the guy shot it into a piece of plywood 10 feet away and it stuck. I'll never forget the sound it made, kind of a weird gong like sound.

The point of the discussion on TSF was that these kind of knives are bad for the sport, so to speak. You can't argue that they have any useful purpose, but a regular switchblade can be used as a knife. In a similar discussion we discussed that selling switchblades to kids was bad for the sport as well. A soccer mom finding one in her son's drawer is the kind of stuff that can make the evening news. One particular seller objected to this, so I guess to each their own.
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Red,

Do you recall seeing a ballistic knife for sale on BA or somewhere else around the time of the TSF discussions? I thought that was what prompted the message thread at the time.

Greyblade
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Mr.Greyblade,I just checked the T.S.F. files and yes there was one on B.A.The thread is still there but no photo.I did save a copy at the time and have been searching my c.d.s for about an hour now!That will teach me to write on them!NOT!! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr.Jerrbear

Really?...I LIKE a good arguement :D
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Greyblade wrote:Red,

Do you recall seeing a ballistic knife for sale on BA or somewhere else around the time of the TSF discussions? I thought that was what prompted the message thread at the time.

Greyblade
I have seen 3 or 4 of these since Blade Auction came on line, maybe more. There was one on BA started the conversation. Somebody posted the link to the auction, but I don't think there is a picture in the archives.
McSwitch

Post by McSwitch »

A friend of mine had a ballistic knife that he bought at a gun show years ago. I fired it several times and yes it was a very strong spring. Although it might stick into a board at ten feet, I think it's intended range was much closer. His looked like a fixed blade bayonet with the trigger where the upper finger guard would be. I don't know what ever happened to it but I know he doesn't have it anymore.