O.T.F vs Folding autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jrny65

O.T.F vs Folding autos

Post by jrny65 »

I realize is no actual "vs" here ,just two different ways to achieve the same objective,it just seems like whenever I'm disscussing autos with buddies they seem to have hard ons for the OTF's,frankly I don't see it for the most they look kind of awkward with the fat handles and the big button,too many parts for me aswell.I'll take the classic italian stiletto any day it's sleek simple and great looking,plus when folders open it seems more impressive,and they lock into place I feel secure it will stay that way.
Having said all that my experience with OTF's is rather limited save a cheap one I once, it would always"come off track"or close when I would stab it into something(not someone).I will defintely be adding one to my collection someday,just wondered what the more experienced thought on the matter.I do think the auto close feature is pretty cool tho.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

OTF's have to be adleast 150 dollars U.S. other wise there just pretty pieces; they are ablosutley useless for anything past light use, because of blade play invovled. Auto folders such as the small Benchmade autos or the Mini-Sert or the smaller UDT (Microtech) don't have to be as expensive for the the same blade strength (better steel, no blade play, stuff like that) but in Areas (like in my Country) autos are COMPLETEY illegal, so a smaller and less threating blade and subtle pocket clip (or none) doesn't draw attetion compared to your Microtech D/A OTF or your Sandshark, SWAT etc. dagger... D/A OTFs along with Balisongs are the knives that are the most fun to play with :D
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I perfer folders to otf's. A decent otf will run over 200.00us. The cheaper ones are fun to play with and to impress your friends. Received a SandShark from my wife for christmas and have added some new cuts to my hands. This is one hell of an otf, no blade play and fires like a rocket. Very intimidating knife, won't use it on oil barrels, but shaves the hairs on your arm.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Razor,

Your wife gave you a SandShark?
She's definitely a "keeper!"
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

She sure is and so is the SandShark. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Unless you go custom high end your average OTF is a great toy to play with.
PB
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

There is a lot of "mystique" about the OTF knives among people that have been collecting for a long time. There are stories of Italian stilettos that shot out the front through the back of a seat in a movie theatre, and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade. All this is myth and BS. The only Italian OTF's made were in the late 50's/ early 60's, and I think these are the source of the myth. They were not very good quality knives, but cool none the less. I'll be damn if I ever carry a strong OTF! (for the obvious reasons) They are, however, very fun to play with!
lunchboxpad_com

Post by lunchboxpad_com »

I'll be damn if I ever carry a strong OTF! (for the obvious reasons) They are, however, very fun to play with!
Well, it's maybe not so much how they get "out the front", but where they go "in" after they get out!
Bryan
LunchBoxPad.com
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Whether it be a femoral artery, or the nads, I don't need it!!!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Hi Red how you doing? Remember also the old stories of holding the OTF against someones stomach and after pushing the button the blade kills them. Everyone had an Uncle who new a guy at the barbershop who said his Mechanic 's brother-in-laws best friend saw it happen LOL.
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Pushbutton,

Apparently they never made it through Physics 101 :lol: :lol:

Jim
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Pushbutton wrote:Hi Red how you doing? Remember also the old stories of holding the OTF against someones stomach and after pushing the button the blade kills them. Everyone had an Uncle who new a guy at the barbershop who said his Mechanic 's brother-in-laws best friend saw it happen LOL.
PB
Hey there BH, long time no speak. I'm doing well and hope you are. Somewhere there is a movie, I'm determined to find it, where a gangster shoots an otf through the back of the seat in a movie theatre and kills the guy in the seat. It's black and white, probably late 40's, early 50's. I saw it when I was a kid, but have no clue as to the title.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

There was an episode of The Untouchables where the hitman has a 15"or18" switchblade and stabs the guy through the seat when there is a lot of laughter from the audience. Even over here in the U.K. I was brought up on such myths too.Also the O.T.F. that had spare blades and 2 buttons.One for normal use and one to fire into someone so you could walk away leaving the blade in them!! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

This topic reminds me of a funny story that I related on the old forum. I'll retell it here for the amusement of the new folks. Back in the mid-60's when I was about 12 or 13 I heard some friends talking about a "switchblade". Not having any older brothers or sisters, I wasn't as worldly wise as them and didn't know what a switchblade was, so I asked. I was told something like "it is a type of knife where you push a button and the blade shoots out". My interpretation was that "the blade shoots out" meant as a projectile. Imagine their laughter when I asked if the blades could be reused or whether they deformed like lead pellets from pellet guns. :lol: :lol:

Jim
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

"and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade"

...That's funny. Up until a few years ago, when I began collecting and soaking up the wealth of knowledge the good folks on this forum have provided, I was lead to believe this was also the case. I thought I was the only one that had believed this.