O.T.F vs Folding autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Those of you who really have to see a balistic knife go to Bladeforms.com and look for a thread by searching, written by Vampire Gerbil. Plenty of pics and funny stories about them to go with it. As Red said cocking the son of a bitch will not only give you a hernia it will also raise your blood presure a few notches.. As Vagrant said real Stilletto's have been around for centuries in fixed form. It hasn't been till about 60 or so years ago they used the term for springers and although the name has stuck it has been the wrong description all these years.
PB
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

McSwitch wrote:A friend of mine had a ballistic knife that he bought at a gun show years ago. I fired it several times and yes it was a very strong spring. Although it might stick into a board at ten feet, I think it's intended range was much closer. His looked like a fixed blade bayonet with the trigger where the upper finger guard would be. I don't know what ever happened to it but I know he doesn't have it anymore.
You are right, it is not meant for that kind of range. Actually, I was probably 10 feet from it, he was on the other side of the table, and reaching his arm out toward it. It was impressive demonstration. It impressed me so much that I didn't want anything to do with it.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

"Stiletto - a small, thin dagger - a pointed tool used to pierce holes in leather or cloth."

-The New Lexicon
Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary Of The English Language
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The original "ballistic knife" was reportedly a KGB item [I'm always skeptical of KGB, CIA, Ninja claims], that was copied in this country. The early ones required a vise to compress the spring, and could penetrate wood [at 20 feet or so] equal to an overhand stab. They were federally prohibited . The no useful purpose logic will eventually repeal ALL our rights because well meaning people buy it SO easily. The best answer to "What do you need it for"? Is "I don't need it I want it". It's my right as a free man.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Vagrant wrote:The best answer to "What do you need it for"? Is "I don't need it I want it". It's my right as a free man.
That's got my vote too!!

When I type sliletto into my favourite search engine I get a lot of gumf about high heels......the word sliletto seems now to mean anything long and thin. The definintion of "free man" seems to have changed somewhat also. I think they call it "progress"

It is said by some that weapons are not NEEDED in a civilized society, I would suggest that it is weapons that MAKE a society civil, and KEEP it that way.

What sort of chance would David have had against Goliath without a weapon?
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Vagrant wrote: The no useful purpose logic will eventually repeal ALL our rights because well meaning people buy it SO easily. The best answer to "What do you need it for"? Is "I don't need it I want it". It's my right as a free man.
I definitely agree with you. In the case of the Florida switchblade/ballistic ruling, however, I will gladly let the ballistic knife be a sacrificial lamb if it will help get autos legal in Florida again. I'll be an outlaw if I have to, but I'm glad they're (switchblades) not illegal in my state.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

When any object, item, devise is outlawed, you have tyrany.
I agree you sometimes have to "compromise" but it sucks.
Sakugenken

Post by Sakugenken »

Vagrant wrote:"and if it went out the front it was a stiletto, but if it came out the side it was a switchblade"

For the record the original Stilettos were FIXED blades anything else is "Stiletto Style" no matter how it opens.
Good point. I could be wrong but isn't stiletto now used to describe any thin narrow pointed blade (regardless of opening). Sort of an evolving of language. Like "gay" originally meant happy or fun (but I certainly wouldn't want to yell out "I'm gay" if I'm having a good time at the bar on a Friday night).
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

As I read in one dictionary "our purpose is to RECORD usage not DICTATE it, so meanings will change over time". I suppose that's needed but still disappointing.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

In the UK....self-defence has already been re-defined..(by the government)...it now means attack!!
and is punishable by law....
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

I still don't care, If I was in the U.K. (or ANYWHERE for that matter) if someone comes after me... I FIGHT BACK!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

if someone comes after me... I FIGHT BACK!

And the newspapers will call them "the deceased".
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Members of governments should not be allowed armed guards unless they also allow the individual to arm him/herself. Why should THEIR lives be any more valuable than ours.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Why should THEIR lives be any more valuable than ours.
Teddy,
No offense but that's why after we declared independence our Constitution prohibited any establishment of a Royalty or Nobility.
[Of course our politicians have granted themselves all kinds of special privileges, exceptions, benifits etc.].
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Vagrant wrote: No offense but that's why after we declared independence our Constitution prohibited any establishment of a Royalty or Nobility.
[Of course our politicians have granted themselves all kinds of special privileges, exceptions, benifits etc.].
None taken....Impirialistic, self-serving bastards needed takin' down a peg or three.

Thats always gonna be the problem....enough money (with the power that it inevitably brings) and you can imitate royalty..........steady now.... mustn't criticise capitalism.......