Switchblades and US law

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tiek Bane

Switchblades and US law

Post by Tiek Bane »

I understand switchblades are unlawful. :x I believe they should be legal. It's strange when a man can carry a handgun but not a lousy knife.

How does anybody buy them and not get in trouble, especially if they are imported from Italy where they have to through customs? I once had a friggin' butterfly knife confiscated on the US/Mexican border because, the cutoms nazi said, gravity knives can't be imported into this country.

Any info is appreciated.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

As far as customs is concerned, they can't get 'em all. The price you pay a dealer reflects the fact that they DO get some of them. It also has to
cover: S&H to him, S&H to you, interest on credit cards, the dealers profit,
[needed to support his lavish lifestyle] and lots of other expences. Still
life goes on and things go flick. [And your latest toy usually costs less than a night on the town].
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

I live in Pennsylvania and automatics fall under 'Prohibited Offensive Weapons' along with sawed off shotguns, grenades and such. The law does Not prohibit them in collections and for theatrical productions.. So getting them can be risky but once you have them they are legally yours.
You could go to your local law library and do a little research on your own state law. You may be surprised.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

The SKM site has a state-by-state breakdown in their Q & A (or whatever it is called) section.

Jim
tiny

Post by tiny »

Vagrant wrote:As far as customs is concerned, they can't get 'em all. The price you pay a dealer reflects the fact that they DO get some of them. It also has to
life goes on and things go flick. [And your latest toy usually costs less than a night on the town].
Was that a shot? :)

8)
vinithehat

ebay

Post by vinithehat »

i recently checked out ebay:

according to ebay's guide-lines the following are NOT permitted for sale:

1) switchblades with blades over 2 inches long
2)grenades or replica grenades
3) a bunch of other useless crap i cant remember

well, of the 3 things expressly prohibited, i found all 3.

you'll certainly find a seller in the USA willing to mail you a knife.

(this will avoid customs searches).

vini
tiny

Post by tiny »

It's also illegal to exceed the speed limit... :wink:

8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Tiny wrote:
Vagrant wrote:As far as customs is concerned, they can't get 'em all. The price you pay a dealer reflects the fact that they DO get some of them. It also has to
Was that a shot? :)

Hell No, it was subtle humor [LAVISH ??? Lifestyle] I assume we all work
for a living. I know I do, and remember your travel schedule which would burn me out. [When I take a shot it's after being provoked.]

8)
nevwerg

Post by nevwerg »

im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid
Last edited by nevwerg on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevwerg

Post by nevwerg »

im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid im stupid
Last edited by nevwerg on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinithehat

outlaws

Post by vinithehat »

i used my stiletto today, to cut tape for a package. it may not sound too rebellious, but it was in front of the Post Office. i risked federal procecution for the sake of using my auto. just call me james dean (no, because i like sausages).

vini
Iblis

GAAAH

Post by Iblis »

i am ordering one, and it's going through customs. what % chance do i have of actually getting it?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

90 % I have no problem and I live in Canada were there complety illegal expect for expenisve permits for threatical uses (yeah I'm going to pay $1000 (for buissness which is required) plus 250 in fees for every person can have em').
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Iblis,if you live stateside why not try Tiny's.He stocks AB/SKM blades and has a exellent reputation.No customs!Just a thought!Cheers the spotlight kid.
jrny65

Post by jrny65 »

:D No doubt if your livin in the states don't waste your time ordering them abroad.You've got alot of choice there.I managed to get one thru Canadian Customs only to lose three more and a few hundred bucks... Oh Well if want to play the game http://www.knifemart.com/collectr.htm