Boker Button Locks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

Boker Button Locks

Post by XBMX »

What is the story with Boker Button Locks? Models were made in Germany, Argentina, Taiwane, China. My understanding is a third party was employed to convert them to accept a coil spring. Who performed the necessary machining and did they convert other Brands?
jim d,

Re: Boker Button Locks

Post by jim d, »

Do you mean the Top Locks and Speed Locks? If so, my understanding is that the Speed Locks were factory auto and the Top Locks were manual from the factory and then could be converted to auto. What I do know is that I bought a bunch of Top Locks, both sizes, with various colors of dyed bone and rubber handle inserts. This was in the early 2000s from a guy in Wyoming who claimed to have done the conversions in his shop. All of mine are stamped Boker Solingen Germany Stainless with the Boker tree logo. I'm interested in any additional information anyone may have.

Jim
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

Depends on the Boker model and when it was made.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

jim d, wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:30 am Do you mean the Top Locks and Speed Locks? If so, my understanding is that the Speed Locks were factory auto and the Top Locks were manual from the factory and then could be converted to auto. What I do know is that I bought a bunch of Top Locks, both sizes, with various colors of dyed bone and rubber handle inserts. This was in the early 2000s from a guy in Wyoming who claimed to have done the conversions in his shop. All of mine are stamped Boker Solingen Germany Stainless with the Boker tree logo. I'm interested in any additional information anyone may have.

JimAs I remember my Speed Lock didn't have nail nick. Much later I also purchased a number of Top Locks very economical buys as I recall and converted them. The pockets were cut but sometimes I had to drill the blades. Kalashnikov's were another story. Sometimes the spring cavities were milled others never touched. One purchased retail in Germany fired so strong it was almost uncontrollable when fired. Great values.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I was just thinking about the Toplocks and Speedlocks last week going through my stuff. They used to be pretty popular but have kind of lost favor. A toplock was one of the first "real" name switchblades I bought online in my never ending search for the perfect pocket auto. I ended up owning a few but decided they weren't the perfect pocket knife for me. Shaped wrong and kind of slick in the hand and the recessed button was difficult to push with gloves.

I can't add any more info than what has already been said about the difference between them.

PS- Has anyone ever seen these little toplock keychain clones? I always wanted to get a few of these but never seen them for sale.
IMG_20240502_172235222.jpg
IMG_20240502_172235222.jpg (362.87 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_20240502_172217697.jpg
IMG_20240502_172217697.jpg (359.63 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_20240502_172307258.jpg
IMG_20240502_172307258.jpg (538.44 KiB) Viewed 316 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have a large TopLock with no nail nick, which I remember as being the exception.

One thing I don't have but would like is one of those keychain models like in the photo.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, I got this one and a couple other odd ball knives from long gone member Tyler_Rabbit. I looked for a few years trying to find more and never could. When I asked where he got them I never heard from him again.

I also have a leverlock clone of the small Hubertus knives that is blade etched Smith & Wesson that I also got from him. I could never find another one of them either.