I am probably beating a dead horse, but...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I am probably beating a dead horse, but...

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I would like to see someone like Colonial revive the Shur-Snap line with modern steel(s) and handle materials. D2 steel or ATS-34 would work particularly well for this application. Were it as robust as a Case Peanut knife, they could rake in a whole $#it-pot full of money selling these in the "free" states.

Opinions? Comments?
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Re: I am probably beating a dead horse, but...

Post by Twobit »

I just looked this up because I know nothing about shur snaps and I think I might have passed on one of these at a pawn shop where I'd asked if they had any switchblades. Red plastic scales, semi -stiletto guard , fishtail . Yeah, I think it was one of theirs. Never gave it a thought. Not really interesting to me, but it didn't occur to me someone else might be after such a one.
Fishtail Picklock

They were made by Colonial and were made of fairly decent steel (not great, but decent). If Colonial were to make these again, they would make a LOT of money!
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Yeah, I probably could've gotten that blade for five or ten bucks. Shit. Just saw a yellow one sold on aapk for $175.
*Edit: I guess it's called a "bowtie". There's another one for sale there for the same price.
Fishtail Picklock

Twobit wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:51 pm Yeah, I probably could've gotten that blade for five or ten bucks. Shit. Just saw a yellow one sold on aapk for $175.
*Edit: I guess it's called a "bowtie". There's another one for sale there for the same price.
The steel of the period was either 440A or 1055 Carbon Steel. I would like to see a nice 440C, ATS-34, or 1095 CroVan steel. The last tends to corrode in salt air environments. If Colonial were to use 420HC to make it (a Case Tru-Sharp type Stainless) the knives would sell like hotcakes and Maple syrup on a cold January morning!

I'd buy it!
Fishtail Picklock