Identifying & Pricing My Father’s Collection

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: Identifying & Pricing My Father’s Collection

Post by sammy the blade »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:57 am The one I called a godson might be a godfather. I never owned one so not for sure.
Looks like a god son to me, but I probably need some new glasses.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I don't think you can retire yet, but most aren't junkers from what I can tell.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

They are definitely worth taking more pictures. Here are some values of some of your knives based on recently sold prices I've found-

The Dalton Militia with "Proto" on the blade and black handle- I see one sold last year for $1350.00. CORRECTION: that's an asking price, not a "sold" price. The closest "sold" price I could find for a similar Militia is $795.

The Dalton War Hawk with "Proto" on the blade- one sold last year for $400

You have a Dalton Slim Seal (serial number 365 on handle)- one sold this year for $545.

You have a Dalton Scalper- one sold last year for $525.

You have a Paragon ATKO 10 (single-action OTF)- one sold last year for $300.

You have a Paragon ATKO 4T (tanto blade)- I see they've sold in recent years for between $100 and $145.

It looks like you have a Harold Corby custom Cobra auto (G10 handle with rubber? oval inlays). I don't know the value of that one, but I'd estimate between around $300-$400.

The Paragon with the bare aluminum handles that says "Limited First Production Run ATS-34" is a model ATKO 5, but I can't find a recent price.

The Dalton SEAL with the red tag attached should be of value, but there are several varieties so more pics are required.

Yep, more pics, closer up, clearly showing any markings on blades, handles or pocket clips. But I think you can skip more pics of the ones I've already priced.
Last edited by Killgar on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

If you measure the length of the Godfather / Godson we will tell you which one it is.

Now for the potentially difficult news; some of those knives have been counterfeited. Do you know when they were purchased? If so, that could help confirm that they are real.

Jim
Rfturner0114

Post by Rfturner0114 »

More pics to come tonight, but wanted to answer the question on when they were bought. I’d say almost all of these, if not all, were purchase somewhere between 1998 and 2003. I’m not positive, but as I remember most of them came from one dealer who my dad had a decent amount of respect for. Doesn’t mean much just wanted to provide the info I remembered.

Also, wasn’t expecting to hit the jackpot on these. Mostly just looking for some nostalgia from my youth when my dad was showing me all of these and possibly get a nice vacation out something that would otherwise sit in a closet for years on end. Goal one is already completed (again a big thanks to this community, you guys are awesome) and sounds like I at least have a shot at goal number 2.
Rfturner0114

Post by Rfturner0114 »

Killgar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 am They are definitely worth taking more pictures. Here are some values of some of your knives based on recently sold prices I've found-

The Dalton Militia with "Proto" on the blade and black handle- I see one sold last year for $1350.00 (that's thirteen hundred and fifty dollars).

The Dalton War Hawk with "Proto" on the blade- one sold last year for $400

You have a Dalton Slim Seal (serial number 365 on handle)- one sold this year for $545.

You have a Dalton Scalper- one sold last year for $525.

You have a Paragon ATKO 10 (single-action OTF)- one sold last year for $300.

You have a Paragon ATKO 4T (tanto blade)- I see they've sold in recent years for between $100 and $145.

It looks like you have a Harold Corby custom Cobra auto (G10 handle with rubber? oval inlays). I don't know the value of that one, but I'd estimate between around $300-$400.

The Paragon with the bare aluminum handles that says "Limited First Production Run ATS-34" is a model ATKO 5, but I can't find a recent price.

The Dalton SEAL with the red tag attached should be of value, but there are several varieties so more pics are required.

Yep, more pics, closer up, clearly showing any markings on blades, handles or pocket clips. But I think you can skip more pics of the ones I've already priced.
Again, thank you all, but also a big thanks to you for taking the time to run through in detail what you could identify in the first pics.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

1998-2003 seems about spot on for the time frame. Do you remember who the dealer was?

PS- There is a Dalton forum still active. It might be the best place to find out more about those knives. Rob Dalton made many different knives with small production numbers and once he sold out on a production run most were never made exactly the same again. Dalton collectors are a smaller group but they are passionate.
https://www.daltonforums.com/forum.php
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember counterfeits being an issue in that timeframe.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not really any counterfeits with markings except for a few one off Italians by a couple manglers. At least not that I recall. There were clones but not blatant with company markings.

I have never heard of counterfeit Daltons, Paragon.

A few years later there were the Bucks but I don't recall the counterfeits in the 112 size and even the 110 usually had the pill capsule shaped button and not a round button.

I'm still drawing a blank on the macarta(?) handled one with the shiney tanto blade. I know I have seen them before but don't remember a maker.
The smaller one on the top right might be a Boker speedlock or toplock but there were a few clones of that design.

One thing about Dalton. He did make quite a few knives that looked like Microtech and other popular knives but I really couldn't swear who copied who.

The Corby had a few clones.

Hibbens auto knives I have zero experience or knowledge about.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Rfturner0114 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:41 pm

Again, thank you all, but also a big thanks to you for taking the time to run through in detail what you could identify in the first pics.
You're quite welcome.

A few more-

I see that a Microtech HALO 3 like yours (stonewash serrated tanto) sold last year for $995.

A Boker Top Lock 2 just like yours sold in 2019 for $130.

The Protech appears to be a Godson model 703 "Jazz". I see that two with frame screws sold last year for $325 and $345.

As for the Buck 112 auto conversion, since Buck sells their own 112 factory auto with warranty, you would be competing with their pricing. So I would suggest pricing it below the factory version. Somewhere less than $200. The conversion looks well done, but it's hard to judge an auto by just a picture.

By the way, all of the "sold for" prices I'm quoting are from "sold" listings on Arizona Customs (online knife consignment store). If you don't want to go through the effort to sell them all yourself Arizona Customs will do all the work for you. They charge 25% of the sale proceeds, but again, they do all the work and deal with any hassles (like packages lost in shipping, etc). Just a thought.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Kilgar, do you know what that micarta scaled knife is?
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

There's a marking on the blade, Terry, but I can't make it out. Can't zoom in enough without it blurring.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 pm Kilgar, do you know what that micarta scaled knife is?
Yeah, just got it, it's another Harold Corby custom. There's a Corby on Arizona Customs with a similar handle and button/screw configuration but with a different blade.
Last edited by Killgar on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Thanks! It was bugging the crap out of me.

I took a look on the Arizona custom site. I didn't know, or forgot, that Paragon made some of his autos. I remember the Al Mar connection. Been awhile.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm Thanks! It was bugging the crap out of me.

I took a look on the Arizona custom site. I didn't know, or forgot, that Paragon made some of his autos. I remember the Al Mar connection. Been awhile.
You're welcome.

Here's a pic of one off AC with the similar handle features (best I could do, AC won't let me copy pics)-

And the knife in Rfturners pics appears to have "Corby" on the blade (upper right corner)-