Like swingers? Like levers? How about both in one?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: Like swingers? Like levers? How about both in one?

Post by Tom19176 »

Bill is 100% correct Twobit. They sell for $25 from China direct...
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Thanks for the heads up, Bill. I'm no expert, nor would anyone call me a "serious" collector. I generally go for practical use in my knives but have always been fascinated with switchblades and I can't see any seriously practical use for them. I'll use them to open a box or packaging but if there's a serious cutting task I'm going for my folding utility razor or my EDC Steel Will assisted opener. If I hang on to those Rizzuto's I'll play with them until something regrettable happens. Yes, I got them for next to nothing, but having confirmed my hunch that they have collector value I can't keep them for gadgets. I've got others that will stand up to that and can use the money for what I want with plenty of it left over to spend on my family's needs and wants. I'd really love to own one of those Hubertus Cade's but I can only justify the price of an AKC, that is, IF I can find one. My practical side won't let me drop a day and a half's take home pay for something I'll be terrified of losing even if it will stand up to use. But I'm rambling and I apologize.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

medici.jpg
medici.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
The one on the right is a guardian.
The medici to the left of it has been engraved by Bill.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Sweet, fastr!
Mario

Post by Mario »

Twobit wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:23 am Picked this up about a month ago and can't complain for what I got with the price tag even though I found it cheaper elsewhere it could be I got lucky and got a good one IDK. Snaps with authority. Locks up tight with zero play in the blade. The guard has minimal movement. It's got heft, seems pretty well put together other than I had to tighten the lower bolster pin a little. Scales are synthetic but present a wood - like "grain". No fraudulent AKC stamp. The blade is 440C stainless and took a wicked edge on my diamond stone. Length is 7-3/4" overall. Just thought I'd let you all know they're out there.
I got one of these earlier this year. Mine has a rosewood handle. It’s a nice little budget knife. I like the file work on the backspring.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:26 pm This knife is a copy of the Hubertus Guardian.
There are 3 in the center of this picture.
Bill, those are Bonsa leverlocks with the aluminum handles in your drawer, right? Were those made in Germany?
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Just out of curiosity, Mario, where did you get yours?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mario- Yes, those chrome plated knives are Bonsas.
They are not aluminum. They are cast zinc, chrome plated.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Question for anyone: is there something undesirable about a round spring? That's what this one has and both of my Rizzy's, as well. My two legit Italians have flat ones
Mario

Post by Mario »

Twobit wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:07 pm Just out of curiosity, Mario, where did you get yours?
Got mine from Jay of Lightning OTF Knives.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Not particularly undesirable. Round springs are bent up out of music wire. They are cheaper to make than dedicated flat springs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Good to know, Bill. Thank you. Lightning OTF is a site I hadn't come across before now. Thank you, Mario.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

fastr19, what size are your medici's? Mine is 7-3/8" overall and is the only size I've seen them other than manuals from Case, etc. yours look to be, maybe, around 8-1/2 -ish?
Attachments
IMG_20231127_064911419.jpg
IMG_20231127_064911419.jpg (771.74 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Hi Twobit. They are actually all the same size as your beauty...7 3/8".
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Really? I guess I was assuming that your Guardian was the same size as my Guardian copy at 7-3/4.* Edit: it's more like 8-1/4". I didn't have the knife at work with me today to measure. I did so this evening.