How old are Rezno Pascotto's batwings?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Blitz

How old are Rezno Pascotto's batwings?

Post by Blitz »

Hi, i have a question.

I recently purchased a 13'' Renzo Pascotto batwing swingguard from a seller who lives in Italy, knows Renzo personally and has a good reputation as a seller. He indicated that the knife comes directly from Renzo's personal collection.

After receiving it, I inspected the knife and came across some signs of wear. Probably been exhibited to people many times. When I asked about it, the seller said that it is a 25 year old knife and that this was one of the first batwings that Renzo made. 25 years means around 1998.

I know that Renzo has been making batwings for AGA Campolin since 2009. However, I doubt whether my knife is actually 25 years old. Especially because there is an adjustment screw in the front bolsters, like the newer aga campolin batwings from 2020: https://cdn.arizonacustomknives.com/ima ... -3516.jpeg

But recently I found a picture from 2013 of an 18'' Renzo swing guard that apparently also has an adjustment screw in the front bolster:
viewtopic.php?t=20739

So that adjustment screw system is not something new?

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.
Killgar

Re: How old are Rezno Pascotto's batwings?

Post by Killgar »

The only time I've seen classic Italian switchblades with screw pivots were ones sold by John Benson. He removed the pivot pins and replaced them with screw pivots so the blades could be removed and the knife shipped in two pieces to try and sidestep the law against shipping switchblades. And I remember he had a lot of them.

If any of the old Italian makers produced knives with screw pivots I'd find that very interesting because it would signify a big jump in modern knife making for the Italians (one I strongly endorse). But the vast majority of Renzo Pascotto knives I've seen, including his latest ones, all have classic pivot pins.

EDIT: Doing some research it looks like the 2020 AGA Campolin 13" swing guards were made with screw pivots. Cool.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
john

Post by john »

Got mine in 2010
9212D922-6124-4DD7-8A18-31062C79EAAF.jpeg
9212D922-6124-4DD7-8A18-31062C79EAAF.jpeg (134.22 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
D20C03AF-D3F6-4F6F-8544-D7DA17A8F487.jpeg
D20C03AF-D3F6-4F6F-8544-D7DA17A8F487.jpeg (443.22 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

John's 2010 are about as old as they come. That 18" piece may have the screw pivot pin in 2013, but Renzo didn't use that on his 13" Batwings until 2020 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29081&p=302710&hili ... rs#p302710

...I see you guys already saw that now.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Lovely example John.

Great stag,great shape ....I forgot how nice these batwings were .,thanks for the memory ..
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Hm, so the seller wasnt honest at all to me about their age? But who made the batwings for Campolin in 2020? Because the ones i have are with Renzo's stamp on it and it looks they are the only ones. Maybe these two are an exception where Renzo put his own stamp on them and kept it for himself during production for Campolin?
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Renzo made all the 13" Batwings in 2020, whether stamped A.G.A. Campolin or laser etched Renzo Pascotto, and all came with the screw pivot pin.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

JulesVane wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:29 am Renzo made all the 13" Batwings in 2020, whether stamped A.G.A. Campolin or laser etched Renzo Pascotto, and all came with the screw pivot pin.

Ah thank you for providing some info. So i guess mine also are from 2020.

Do you also have any idea how many of them were produced in 2020?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pascotto has been making knives for a very long time. There is no reason he couldn't have made your knife at any time-especially if for himself or as a test bed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:12 pm Pascotto has been making knives for a very long time. There is no reason he couldn't have made your knife at any time-especially if for himself or as a test bed.
That's how I think about it too.

In my first post I had already shared a link from talkblade.info about a topic that was opened in 2013 of a Renzo 18'' swinguard where a pivot screw in front bolster can also be seen. So the idea of a pivot screw used by Renzo is not something only from 2020. The knife shown in that topic could also have been produced much earlier than 2013: viewtopic.php?t=20739