Found - Need Info

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TmK22105

Found - Need Info

Post by TmK22105 »

Hi all!

Cleaning out my dad's house and found this knife. Looks interesting. Did some basic internet research, but would love to hear what this group can tell me about it. My grandfather (dad's dad) was in WWII and passed down some knives he acquired during that time. Wondering if this knife would be from that era.

Thanks!
Attachments
Italian stiletto??
Italian stiletto??
Screenshot_20230716_092454_Gallery.jpg (273.05 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
JulesVane

Re: Found - Need Info

Post by JulesVane »

I see something stamped on the tang. Can you tell us what it says? Could be a U.S. importers stamp, which would mean it was likely bought in the U.S.. More than likely, a 1950’s kris blade picklock though, not pre-1945.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Pin through the guard is interesting, at least I think it's a pin.Does this still work as a switchblade?
TmK22105

Post by TmK22105 »

On one side, it says "Italy", on the other "CIZ".

It does still work as a switchblade.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

CIZ is short for "Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis" (they still exist). Made in Maniago, Italy. Zoppis was the name of a retailer, not a knife maker.

Cool knife. Does the pin go all the way through the knife (both bolsters), or is it just pinning the one guard down? Or is there a separate pin for both top bolsters?
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Great knife! A 13" kris CIZ is a pretty rare piece. Collectable and $$ wise it's very hurt by the edge side of the kris blade being ground down and sharpened. I've seen quite a few old knives with the extra bolster pin. It was usually done as a mod by the owner because of a loose guard.

The other end of that is I love seeing pieces like this. It was a $5-$10 knife new and more of a novelty. The owner that mod'ed it wanted it to be more of a weapon. At one point I had a small collection of old users like this. It's an amazing conversation piece when the guys come over. "Look at the crazy sh@t my grandfather used to carry back in the 50's!!" A real badass would carry a knife like that. Nice find!
TmK22105

Post by TmK22105 »

Really appreciate the info given! The pin is just on the one side. Here's another pic.

Yes, the edge is ground down on the one side. It does look like someone definitely got use out of this knife!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230716_210255_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230716_210255_Gallery.jpg (159.14 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Looks like that pin goes all the way through the bolster, and is soldered on the other side.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

That's a neat piece. I really like the horn and appreciate its age. Thanks for sharing.
Fishtail Picklock