New switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Graybeard

New switchblades

Post by Graybeard »

Hello. Was looking at Frank B. And Latama. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the to?? Thanks.
Fishtail Picklock

Re: New switchblades

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Latama is far more expensive but has a better build quality. (I have yet to see a Latama that wasn't nearly flawless). I have some very nice Frank Beltrame pieces, but I tip my hat to Latama for making some of the most beautiful Italian Automatic Knives that aren't custom-built (bespoke) for the most discriminating buyer.

This is just MHO.
Fishtail Picklock
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Current production Latama stilettos are actually made by Frank Beltrame, but the owner of Latama (a US vendor) has higher standards, so as a result Frank Beltrame makes the Latama's to a higher level of quality than the Frank Beltrame brand knives.

A few differences between the two brands, other than Latama's having better fit and finish-

The Latama's have solid nickel silver bolsters, the standard Frank B's have hollow stainless steel bolsters.

The Latama's have thicker blades and springs than the Frank B's. Latama- 5mm thick, Fran B- 4mm thick (older Frank B's are 3.5mm).

Unless you buy a single-edged Frank Beltrame with a flat grind, neither brand are any good for actually cutting anything, the edges are too narrow and steep to achieve a cutting edge .

There is also a line of cheaper Frank Beltrame stiletto switchblades, the "Switch" line. They are all 9" long and have handles that are held on by tiny screws rather than pins ("Classic" line). These knives are made of cheaper materials than the "Classic" line, are not as durable, and are more prone to breakage.

I've never owned a Latama, only handled a few, and they were well made.

I have owned 13 Frank Beltrame stilettos, 2 9" "Classic" models, and 11 11" swivel bolster models (1 older version, 10 current version). And out of the 13 Frank B's I would only describe one of the current 11" as being "decent". All the others had serious issues, like sloppy blade and lock play, blades that were seriously canted backwards when open, and various other fit and finish issues. Fortunately for me I was buying all of the 11" knives to take apart and harvest certain parts for making other switchblades, so I didn't care about the issues I described.

Also, from what I've read of other peoples experience, the owner of Latama is a very good guy who cares about the satisfaction of his customers. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone who was ever able to get Frank Beltrame to replace a knife or provide a refund. Which is why I suggest only buying from vendors who will accept returns.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I agree with most of what Killgar said, but I guess I had better luck with the 11" Franks Bs over the years. The new Frank B 2.0 have thicker blades and back spring and better fit and finish. I can say I have handled over a 100 of them and only found a few with a slight banana blade. The Frank B made Latama line are very well made as noted above.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Walt, the owner of Latama.
RON K.

Post by RON K. »

Thanks for the great info.RON K.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the information.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the picture of Walt....Missed him at Mystic show
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

This year Walt had a brand new design. It won an innovative design award last year and this year he had some for sale. It's a sliding scale with a different activation mechanism than other sliding scales Very neat, but not cheap.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

We’re are all the good shows at?? I live in Ohio Valley. Thanks
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

fastr19 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 pm Walt, the owner of Latama.
Allen, thanks for sharing the photo..Walt looks great.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Can you post a picture of the new knife from Walt?
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I have one and will show more detailed pictures later when I unpack it and play with it. It is priced in the 4 figures range.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm thinkin it ain't $19.95
2024 candidate for president
boots

Post by boots »

PVK Has a Frank B 11" Kris blade for sale for $206.00. They did have one in dark horn, but I think I got the last one. :D
https://www.pvk.com/Frank-B-Italian-Sti ... 1k-blh.htm