New to me.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Graybeard

New to me.

Post by Graybeard »

Resized_20230530_034943 Medium.jpeg
Resized_20230530_034943 Medium.jpeg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
. Hi to all new member. Just got this switchblade. Can anyone give me info? The guy I got it off of has had it since the 80s. He got it off somehow hi had it for 15 to 20 years. It has horn grips no spring. Any idea we’re to get springs ?? And does anyone restore these knifes?? Thanks for any info.
Killgar

Re: New to me.

Post by Killgar »

Welcome :)

As far as the maker, what, if anything, is stamped on the ricasso (the base of the blade near the handle). That is often the best, or only way to identify the maker.

What I can tell from your picture is that it is a swivel-bolster (the top, front bolster swivels to unlock the blade). What I can't tell from the pic is if it is a "transitional", which is a switchblade that was made back when the Italians transitioned from making predominantly pick-lock stilettos to swivel-bolster stilettos. More pictures might help. Also, if you look between the brass liners when the knife is open, are there D shaped cutouts in the liner under the button side handle? Are the bolsters magnetic?

As far as a recommendation for someone who you can trust to repair your knife, Bill DeShivs is the guy. He has his own sub-forum here (under this one), and he has a website under his name.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Great thanks for info. I’ll get more pics up tomorrow.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

IMG_6907 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6907 Medium.jpeg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_6904 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6904 Medium.jpeg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_6906 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6906 Medium.jpeg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_6905 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6905 Medium.jpeg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
. Here’s more pics. Anything on date. Make. Thanks
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

The ricasso says "Rostfrei", and unfortunately "Rostfrei" is one of the most generic markings on stiletto switchblades, which could make it difficult to impossible to determine which of the many makers in Italy actually made it, there were a lot of them. Although the knife is Italian, "Rostfrei" basically means "stainless steel" in German (rust free).

The stainless steel blade convinces me that it is not a "transitional", as those older knives had carbon, non-stainless steel blades.

If the bolsters are stainless steel, then I would guess the knife is from the 1970's, or more recent. Older stilettos (1960's and older) had bolsters made of nickel silver (white brass). If the bolsters are magnetic then you know they are stainless steel, of course stainless steel is not always magnetic.

That's all I've got, maybe someone else will know more about your knife.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks. For the information
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Unless it has some sentimental value, I don't think it is worth paying to get repaired.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I like the knife I’ll pay to have it working again Just to have a working knife not a broke knife laying around. Can’t and won’t pay the crazy prices on line for some of the knife’s I’ve looked at the last couple days. Just my opinion
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Graybeard, glad to have you with us, as for your knife, I would send it to Bill and have the spring fixed, Bill has done work for me a few times, very fair and honest guy, good luck.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Shipped it to bill today. Definitely getting it fixed.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Any reasonable places to go to find switchblades ??
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Graybeard wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:08 pm Any reasonable places to go to find switchblades ??
What type/types of switchblades are you interested in? Because there is a WIDE variety out there.

If you are looking for genuine Italian stiletto switchblades, here are a few places in the US that I have purchased from with good results-

myswitchblade.com
Perryknifeworks.com
Bladehq.com
nicnac.net

And by "good results" I mean the vendors were on the up and up. The quality of the knives I received is another matter. More on the subject of quality below.

A few other US vendors that sell genuine Italian stiletto switchblades-

adamsknifeworks.com
pvk.com
grindworx.com
latama.net (expensive, the highest quality you will likely get in a current-production factory-made stiletto switchblade)

I'm sure there are others.

Some in the US buy from knifeshop.com which is run by the Campolin family out of Austria. The Campolins have been producing switchblades in Italy for a long time.

Then there is the secondary market. Like for example, the "Buy & Sell" area of this forum, or the switchblade "for sale" area at the AAPK forum (All About Pocket Knives), and the auction site sharperdeals.net to name a few.

Arizonacustoms.com sells pre-owned Italian stilettos, but I've seen some ridiculous prices there. I've seen them sell pre-owned current production stilettos for as much as $60 higher than the same exact knife available new from other vendors. So I'm reluctant to recommend them.

For vintage Italian stiletto switchblades there is lathams-vintage-knives.myshopify.com, but those are very expensive.

If it's genuine Italian that you're looking for then one thing you have to be wary of are stilettos advertised as "Italian" that are actually made in China. If you see an AKC stiletto advertised as "Italian", there's a good chance it's Chinese (at one time they were Italian). There is a bit of dishonesty in the switchblade market these days with some vendors, and some individuals selling Chinese knives as "Italian" (the Chinese have been falsely marking knives "AKC" for years). It doesn't hurt to ask here about a particular knife you're thinking of buying before you buy it.

And then there is the subject of quality. Quality with genuine Italian switchblades can be hit or miss. In my experience it's a lot more miss, but experiences will vary. If you buy, I recommend that you buy from a vendor that allows returns if you don't like what you get.

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I’ll check those places out. Thanks
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

A lot of us old members here remember the days when you could buy 9" stilettos from Stu for $35 but those days are long gone. Damned shame too, inflation I guess.
2024 candidate for president
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Sammy, Stu was the BEST!!!! Killgar has it all correct!