Does anybody else find this annoying?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Does anybody else find this annoying?

Post by Mario »

So I had someone comment on one of my knife video shorts on YouTube that the Italian-style stiletto switchblade I was showing off wasn’t a switchblade because “a switchblade shoots straight out.” I proceeded to correct him by telling him that is wrong and that by definition, anything that opens automatically via a button in the handle is a switchblade regardless of whether it opens out the side or the front.

Why are people so misinformed about this? They think something has to have a literal “switch” on it for it to be a switchblade. I mean, yes, the OTFs use a switch that goes back and forth. Switch forward to open, switch back to close. What do they think a side opening auto is? A button knife? I am mostly concerned that these people may be carrying side opening autos in places where autos are not legal and are risking arrest by being misinformed.

I’ve also seen some people who think “stiletto” refers to an OTF when in fact that’s just a style of blade. They’ll be like, “That Italian knife you have is switchblade and the other thing that shoots straight out is a stiletto.” No, no, no. A stiletto is merely the shape of a blade, whether it’s a fixed blade knife, a folder, or a side or front opening auto.

People need to do better with reading up on their knife terminology. For god’s sake, just go to Google and do some research before you go and make a fool of yourself online!

End rant.
Killgar

Re: Does anybody else find this annoying?

Post by Killgar »

There are a lot of dumb people in the world. There are a lot of dumb people on the internet. There are a lot of dumb people on Youtube.

Ignorance abounds, and is often willful. As a younger man I was bothered by the opinionated, willful ignorance of others, but as I have gotten older it just doesn't bother me anymore, as long as it has no affect on my life. And I'm a happier person because of this.

There was a time, when I was younger, that I felt compelled to correct people when they were clearly wrong, but again, as I've gotten older, I have become indifferent, and I have no problem ignoring them and just moving on. It's no skin off my nose if someone chooses to live in ignorance. I don't feel the need to educate the willfully ignorant, or prove that I'm right and they're wrong.

I will admit that it sometimes bugs me when I see people on the internet spread misinformation about my local knife laws, as I have gone to great lengths to be educated on my local knife laws, but even there I'm learning to just let it go.

I've had people try to tell me, insistently, that a knife I was carrying was illegal, and that if the cops ever saw me with it they would arrest me on the spot, even though I knew that it wasn't the least bit illegal. In such instances I just smile, thank them for their concern and advice, and I just move on. What I won't do is waste my time arguing with them.

I have found that one of the keys to happiness in life is the ability to ignore the ignorance of others and not let it bother me :) .
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Killgar wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:13 am...I have found that one of the keys to happiness in life is the ability to ignore the ignorance of others and not let it bother me :) .
Wiser words were never spoken, especially as so much ignorance abounds these days.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Agree with you Killgar....I always remember people in the 1970-80s called OTFs stilettos . As for knowing the law, there are many people including law enforcement officers that don't know the knife laws well.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I won't argue about anything anymore, I just tell them to Google it if they think I'm wrong. Works everytime.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am I won't argue about anything anymore, I just tell them to Google it if they think I'm wrong. Works everytime.
The last time they 'Googled' anything, they probably had to clean up the mess after they had finished. :P :wink:
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

lol...Google is very good at hiding facts now days.

99.999% of the worlds population could give 2 shits about knives or collecting them and have no reason to "learn up" on them.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

The Dunning Kruger Effect. . . . ( spelling ? . . . . and badly paraphrased)

Take 3 people . . .1. A dumb person, . . .2. a person who knows a little bit,. . . 3. and a smart well learned person.

1. the Dumb person will be overconfident, and speak as if they are an expert.

2. the moderately educated person, will state that they have not read/learned everything "Yet", and speak less.
. . . . . and they, upon learning something else, gets positive reinforcement by being less vocal.

3. the smart person will not speak, and let the others soapbox until their foot goes into their mouth.
. . . . .and even then, may not speak out, but secretly plan to come out ahead of the game . . unnoticed.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The problem is . . . elected officials.
Given the entirety of the population, apply the "Bell Curve" and chart the voting IQ.
the majority of the voters are "C" grade students or average.
But generally half the population is undereducated (in both parties)

The dumb person, speaks as if they can solve the problems, and display extreme confidence,
. . . so all the voters are attracted to the "Leadership" persona.

the moderately educated , watches the opponent for a weakness, and looks "slow" to the voters.

the smart person. . . . does not run for office.. . .to the distress of us all.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
In Knives or any collector discipline
The dumb person, spouts nonsense, Creates their own labels and wrecks knives thinking they are repairing them.
but for the dazzle . . .become popular. Depending on their IQ, either becomes smarter, or becomes outcast.

The moderately smart person, realizes there is much to learn. Hoards potential value, and sometimes
. . . in the process of "learning the Lingo" . . .sometimes propagates unauthorized incorrect information.

The smart person, usually silent, gets attacked when they teach . . . .
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I don't know alot but I know a little, all in all it's best to let someone figure it out on their own. If you ask me I'll tell you but I'll also tell you not to put any money on it
2024 candidate for president