unknown springer shell puller.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sharpy

unknown springer shell puller.

Post by sharpy »

Hello can anyone give me some info on this one, no maker mark, no shell puller marks, just the letter N under the lever. Thank you
004.JPG
004.JPG (102.74 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (102.27 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (92.37 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (83.24 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (87.85 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: unknown springer shell puller.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's Japanese. The brass bolsters (that don't fit any shotgun shell!) and the bone jigging are characteristic of Japanese knives.
These were made as early as the 1950s and as late as the late 1960s.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Millern

Post by Millern »

Here is another “well-used” example of Japanese origin.
https://i.vgy.me/IK69li.jpg
https://i.vgy.me/6sWuHV.jpg
https://i.vgy.me/YNyMtT.jpg
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

sharpy

A knife like yours was seen in an underwater scene in an old "Godzilla "movie ,there was a topic on it here.

As Bill said the shellpullers dont fit any shells ,just copied from the german examples but I really like these knives and the other swutches the Japanese produced .. ..

The example I have is similar but marked "Bazar".It has nickle pullers ,steel liners and is pretty well constructed.

Thanks for sharing it.
Attachments
20180521_210134.jpg
20180521_210134.jpg (447 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
20180521_210214.jpg
20180521_210214.jpg (233.41 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I had one just like yours last year with the clip blade. Got lots of Godzilla comments, it sold quickly.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

XBMX wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 am I had one just like yours last year with the clip blade. Got lots of Godzilla comments, it sold quickly.
The original German shell puller has been called a "Cade blade" due to it being in The Outsiders movie and the Japanese version is a "Godzilla blade."
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

gravknife wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:49 pm sharpy

A knife like yours was seen in an underwater scene in an old "Godzilla "movie ,there was a topic on it here.

As Bill said the shellpullers dont fit any shells ,just copied from the german examples but I really like these knives and the other swutches the Japanese produced .. ..

The example I have is similar but marked "Bazar".It has nickle pullers ,steel liners and is pretty well constructed.

Thanks for sharing it.
I have one like yours and the quality is better than the later production Japanese knives,
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Gravknife's knife is German.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Bill

I possibly have missed some posts while I was away ,but it was you that told me this was,or sure "smelled Nippon "to you "when I posted it with some German leverlock examples a few years ago. .Looks quite different to them on the picture below.

Are these Japanese or German ?Or was there German Bazars and the Japanese made copies of them ,there are no blade markings on it like on my German leverlocks .,and the shellpullers themseves aren't like my German examples ,plus the jigging on the scales is kind of crude in comparison .

Would like to know as I bid on it years ago thinking it was German in the first place . :)
Attachments
20180524_134128.jpg
20180524_134128.jpg (542.79 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry. The angle of the pictures and the nickel silver threw me off.
There were German Bazars, and there were later Japanese Bazars.
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

Thank you for the replies, i figured it wasn't German because, well it looked a little crude, i'm glad it's not something made in Pakistan or somewhere like that. I bought this off the internet and the pictures weren't the best, hope $125 isn't to much to pay for a Japanese leverlock.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Here is my Bazar springer that was repaired by Bill about 12 years ago. When I first posted this on the Sharper Deals forum, someone commented it may be Japanese. The font of the SPRINGER stamp is different than any I have seen on German knives and the scales are a little different. If it is German, any idea who made it? It doesn't look like a Bonsa or Wingen knife.
Attachments
Bazaar springer.JPG
Bazaar springer.JPG (49.23 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

sharpy
I think what you paid is about right for these ,as Panzerfaust said these are now pretty iconic with the Godzilla label,I really like them they have character.

Panzerfaust
Yours is very much like mine ,I'm still confused on them as I havn't seen comparable original German Bazar examples to compare our knives to.Hope someone has one to post as most other Bazars I have seen are the gun knife combos and the Godzilla ones .
There is a definite difference to my other Shellpullers and german levers I own,so I think they well could be Japanese takes on German shellpullers,as Bill has said before

Here's a "Godzilla" knife with C12 and C16 markings and less of a clipoint blade shape than sharpys.I quite like the jigging on this example especially the rear scale.

Interesting knives.
Attachments
for_sale_antique_1900s_springer_pocket_knife_1574336846_5e25edd1_progressive.jpg
for_sale_antique_1900s_springer_pocket_knife_1574336846_5e25edd1_progressive.jpg (111.92 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
for_sale_antique_1900s_springer_pocket_knife_1574336846_f4ae7709_progressive.jpg
for_sale_antique_1900s_springer_pocket_knife_1574336846_f4ae7709_progressive.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

gravknife wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:32 pm sharpy
I think what you paid is about right for these ,as Panzerfaust said these are now pretty iconic with the Godzilla label,I really like them they have character.

Panzerfaust
Yours is very much like mine ,I'm still confused on them as I havn't seen comparable original German Bazar examples to compare our knives to.Hope someone has one to post as most other Bazars I have seen are the gun knife combos and the Godzilla ones .
There is a definite difference to my other Shellpullers and german levers I own,so I think they well could be Japanese takes on German shellpullers,as Bill has said before

Here's a "Godzilla" knife with C12 and C16 markings and less of a clipoint blade shape than sharpys.I quite like the jigging on this example especially the rear scale.

Interesting knives.
Gravknife, I think the jury is still out on where the two knives we have were made. They have characteristics of a German shell puller but there are things that are different. I agree the price sharpy paid for his Godzilla knife is about right. I have one too and I can't remember for sure but I think that is about what I paid for mine. Maybe a little less.