More love for cheap switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Re: More love for cheap switchblades

Post by jerryk25 »

at djones. . referring to " Quality and Italian" comment.

I think Quality is relative. . . Compare it to food.
Caviar sucks. . . it's salty and smells like old raw dead fish. . .When it's fresh it "pops" when you bite it.
So some places sell eggs in paste, so you can't tell if they are old.
Caviar has a reputation of Quality that is all propaganda. Even Alaskan Red Roe Caviar. . . I'd sooner drink canned salmon water.

On the other hand. . . .I am an EXPERT on Cheese macaroni. . . I can make my own pasta, blend cheeses, mustard, Paprika
and bake a wonderful gooey browned on top baked casserole (custom) . . .
But I still think 2 boxes of Kraft dry noodles, Which is NOT custom by any stretch.
boiled in water and rinsed, brought back to a boil in 3 cups of 2% milk
and a half stick of Margarine, 1 packet of powder cheese, Just hits the spot with a nice Worcestershire, Onion soup mix Meatloaf.
(and a can of Heinz Vegetarian Beans in tomato sauce. . ., NOT overly sweet Bush Beans with molasses)

What is better quality. . .Caviar or Cheese Mac.

I guess I'm low class. . . I like cheap stuff too. . .
I just wish the Chinese would stamp a Dragon on the tang, and stand proud with their product.

My Opinion. . .
I've collected K12-ALs, and an example of every cheap stiletto I can think of. . .
And the basic Italian manual lockback stiletto is hands down the best production blade you can get.
You don't want it to be X-Acto blade brittle, just to try to keep it a razor.
The bolsters are tough, the locktab mechanism is solid. the balance is good. and it looks sexy.
The set back guards make the blade look longer than it really is.

I'd buy "yet another" 9 or 11 inch Olivewood Falcon Bayonet point manual stiletto
over an AGA Campolin Auto on most days.
Take it home, use it to fish pickles out of a jar, Stir my pipe ashes, open letters, and Dig Dandelions for supper.
Last edited by jerryk25 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Jerry - your food analogy is a masterpiece.

Jim
worlds oldest roofer

Post by worlds oldest roofer »

Worlds oldest roofer here- don’t post very often as I usually find the answer to any questions from the genius knifenuts here! Well I just got one of these Russian finkas from e-bay. They don’t sell autos typically and they’re usually described as folders.In this add they blocked out the button,lock and Russian symbol in 5 of the pictures and then a 5 second video of it being an auto so I bit for 42 bucks.A week later I checked to see where it was in the supply chain as it was coming from Saudi Arabia.it says this item has been deleted so I don’t know what im getting or if im getting it.well it showed up with Washington post mark and it’s indeed an auto. I immediately went to akc website and couldn’t find anything similar to this knife only to find out here they been faking that tang stamp for some time.Still not a bad knife for 42 bucks.I see the exact Ganzo that I have on ebay called a folder but it aint 😎that’s all I got
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Sometimes they can advertise them and not mention them being an automatic and get by unless some goody two shoes has to save the world and report it. Glad to see you posting again.
2024 candidate for president
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

They have been listing fake AKC models for a long time now.....I know the model you mean and I hear they are decent knives. I just won't buy miss marked ones.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I wanna know which Saturday Jerry is gonna invite us all over for homemade lasagna....
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Russian Finkas make want to cook Borscht. . . .Beef and Beet soup with sour cream and vinegar.
served with crumbled baked potato lumps.

today is spinach/vidalia onion/lettuce/thin shredded carrot salad with a steamed chicken breast
with an apple sauce with pro-biotic powder mixed in.

todays work knife is a "3 inch paring knife" high carbon from Brazil named "Tramontina"
full tang with 3 rivets thru red pakka-wood scales. bought on eBay.

todays flick therapy knife is a 9inch green pearloid Edge Co kit 120 automatic knife with nail nick plain blade.
Attachments
green-flat-BP5.jpg
green-flat-BP5.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
tramontina5.jpg
tramontina5.jpg (19.89 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I have to say that I find it disturbing what I've been seeing lately regarding these knives.

I bought one on a whim, from Etsy, and I wasn't at all surprised that a vendor on Etsy would sell them, any more than Ebay, or Amazon, or the Chinese sites like DHGate.

But now I see these knives being sold by "legitimate" vendors, vendors who had good reputations, and they are being advertised as authentic "made in Italy" AKC knives.

It was surprising to see them on Grindworx. That was bad enough. Then recently I saw some being offered for sale on Arizona Customs under the "AKC Italy" brand. I contacted Arizona Customs to inform them the knives were fake, they thanked me and said they would remove the knives. Which they quickly did. It's nice to see that Arizona Customs has some integrity.

But just now I saw that pvk.vegas is selling these under the AKC brand with the description- "Great quality knives from AKC in Italy". And that really shocked me.

It's one thing for a site like Etsy to sell such knives, but for a trusted vendor like pvk.vegas to sell them, and advertise them as the real thing, well, like I said, I find that disturbing.

I think it's a bad sign for this "hobby" of ours when vendors that could be counted on to sell only genuine knives are now selling fakes, and advertising them as the real thing. Whether it's laziness and ignorance on their part (not bothering to research what they sell), or whether it's blatant dishonesty, I think both are equally bad and does not bode well for us.

Frankly, I now regret that I bought this knife, but more so that I posted a positive review that may have encouraged others to buy one. I'm going to edit my opening post to make my feelings clear. The only reason I don't delete my opening post is because I don't believe in trying to hide my mistakes.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for your last post Killgar. I had a FB debate with a well known dealer who was stating the 11' MAGO OTFs had blades made in Italy and only the handles were made in China. I showed him the same blade with the same handle for sale direct from the China sellers. He stood by his post that the blades were sent to him from Italy and the handles from China and they were put together here in the US.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I stopped trusting BladeHq/Grindworx after they started selling the fake AKC Swinguards.

I posted here defending the knives and then after much research found out they were fakes. I even went as far as ordering one from China to compare the knives and they are the same.

Grndworx had some Hubertus knives listed a few weeks ago and I've been after one for years.
But I don't trust them so I didn't buy one, they were probably fakes too.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes since Cam left those two sellers they have gone down hill all the way. Glad you affirmed the China ones are the same they are selling.....
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm surprised BladeHQ even sells them.
2024 candidate for president
Mario

Post by Mario »

JPD1998 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:32 pm I stopped trusting BladeHq/Grindworx after they started selling the fake AKC Swinguards.

I posted here defending the knives and then after much research found out they were fakes. I even went as far as ordering one from China to compare the knives and they are the same.

Grndworx had some Hubertus knives listed a few weeks ago and I've been after one for years.
But I don't trust them so I didn't buy one, they were probably fakes too.
Only fake Hubertus I’ve ever seen is that Guardian clone with the fake stag and file work on the bolsters and swinguard. Only ever seen them on Wish and DHgate. Never saw one on Grindworx.
Mario

Post by Mario »

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-Swi ... Stag--3647

They’re calling this one “Italian style” and have it listed as being made in Taiwan, but they’re selling the thing for $120! It may have real stag on the handle. It may be a real damascus blade. But it’s not Italian, they even admit it, and they still want that much for it? That’s a total ripoff.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Mario, I have been emailing them for weeks about their miss leading sales. That one was listed as made in Italy in the past. That is not real damascus as far as I know. At least they now show it is not Italian....