Found Inox 40 years ago...any info appreciated

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mchance

Found Inox 40 years ago...any info appreciated

Post by mchance »

Hi All. I found this when I was playing in the woods with friends building a fort about 40 years ago...I was about 10, now 50. Just doing stuff kids USE to do before phones and tablets. I played with shovels, knives, rode a bike. But it was also safer to play in the woods.
I've always wondered how old is it? Is it rare or worth anything. I've searched the internet..I'm thinking it's from the 1960s. It looks like a wood handle but could be plastic? The only markings are Inox Wandy.
I've wondered all these years. Is there anyone who can share any info on this knife.
I was the only kid on the block with a switchblade, got me in trouble at school! Got detention but kept the knife...Nowadays they would call the SWAT team lol.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1655387037104.jpg
FB_IMG_1655387037104.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
FB_IMG_1655387023143.jpg
FB_IMG_1655387023143.jpg (147.4 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
button_man

Re: Found Inox 40 years ago...any info appreciated

Post by button_man »

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=6449

Big price on a 33cm Wandy at Latham's: https://lathams-vintage-knives.myshopif ... rn-handles

Look at the inside of the bolster that swivels to lever-up the lock.... is the bolster lined with brass, or not?
mchance

Post by mchance »

Thank you for the information. I had no idea what a bolster was lol. It appears to be brass lined. I knew it had some value but thought $40-50
It's far from perfect condition.
Thank you.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1655399899465.jpg
FB_IMG_1655399899465.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Handles look like stag to me.

Any chance you could post full shots of the knife completely open, front and back?
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Hey mchance, your knife handle does indeed appear to be stag, also commonly called staghorn, (tho this is kind of a misnomer as stag and horn are really two different things). Stag is the boney antler substance shed by deer, elk, moose etc. while horn is made of keratin and is permanent as with bulls, buffalo, rhinos, etc. Anyway...stag is often considered to be primo handle material for knives. There is a fake or imitation stag made of plastic, but your knife is clearly not that, as I think it would look way different. Your knife is pretty cool.
mchance

Post by mchance »

Thank you for all the info. Here is a full pic.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1655410997429.jpg
FB_IMG_1655410997429.jpg (173.29 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yours is stag for sure. Wandy was a import company and that dates your knife to the 60-70s. As stated it is a bolster release and has a false edge. Value? In the $100 area or a bit better in this condition. I would keep it as it has history for you.....
button_man

Post by button_man »

I ran across a transitional about six weeks ago and didn't know much about it.
As always, the folks here stepped up with reams of great information -- you might
find it useful to view that discussion........ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30316

P.S. ~ What is the OAL (overall length) of the knife?

P.P.S. ~ There are restoration experts who can work magic on your knife so that it looks
and operates almost like new. Since you have zero dough into the knife, and it has a lot of
sentimental value for you, you might consider this worthwhile.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Pretty nice. Too bad it looks like someone smushed the rear bolster in a vice.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Looks like a knife with a lot of tales to tell...great find, and also smart to keep it instead of trading it for a handful of baseball cards or the like!

I never found a knife or anything notable as a kid. Even when I was looking. :) But I too remember the days before the internet as a youth...lots of adventures like going to the local telephone company and collecting the different colored wire tossed into their dumpsters.

But finding a switch, that's the pinnacle of youth adventure!!

Peace. Scott