AGA Campolin 2017 picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
NorthCarolinaDude

Re: AGA Campolin 2017 picklock

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

button_man wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 am When you find the 10" RP, please come back to this thread and add the new info! Thanks again...! :D
Hey brother, mission accomplished. I finally found my 10 inch Renzo Frosolone buried in my still as yet organized "junk box." That's the code I use when explaining to the wife what's in there! ;)

This one, also in horn, has nickel silver accoutrements and is the heavier of the two 10 models between it and the brass outfitted AGA. It weighed in at 193 grams. Picture below, and a shot of the "junk box" as well. :lol:

Peace.

button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks for the additional photo! I especially enjoyed the "junk drawer" photo.
Since I'm not married, I don't have to limit myself to a drawer; I revel in an entire "junk house".

I'm wondering whether small differences in the 10" knives -- 5 or 6 grams -- might be explained mostly by differences in the scales?
The other components should be pretty equal from one knife to the next; but horn can vary somewhat in density. (Nice B+W horn on this one!)
NorthCarolinaDude

button_man wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:32 pm
I'm wondering whether small differences in the 10" knives -- 5 or 6 grams -- might be explained mostly by differences in the scales?
The other components should be pretty equal from one knife to the next; but horn can vary somewhat in density. (Nice B+W horn on this one!)
Apologies brother, I fell off the internet for a week or so. My wife's mom is having some health issues and the "senior living" place she stays at dropped her from the rolls when she was hospitalized and now we've been busy trying to find where she'll go when she exits the hospital...that is if she's not broke after two weeks in the bloody hospital. That'll be a fun bill for sure. Lesson is though, getting old sucks.

Nevertheless, I am sure there are density variances in horn just as there are in metals. I found a site listing densities of metals...

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/meta ... -d_50.html

...and my take away is that the brass should be less dense as well. I suspect it's a combination of both, with the horn and the nickel-silver coming out a bit heavier.

Scott
button_man

Post by button_man »

NCD ~ Thanks for the update..... no problem about the delay; I totally understand. Good luck with your MIL's residency issues. Ironically, a short hospital stay worked in our favor when my dad fell and broke his hip and needed three days in the hospital. Three days was some sort of bureaucratic minimum that qualified him for a $3K per month benefit towards the $11K per month cost of the Veterans Home. The other $8K per month had to come from us.

Like most people, we did not have any kind of long-term care insurance, so it was all on our shoulders. Mind you, he was a WW II combat veteran -- you would think this would count for something.... but no; had it not been for that 3-day hospital stay, nobody would have kicked in a dime for his care.
All he was entitled to was a military funeral; and since they wouldn't do anything for him when he was alive, I did not involve them after he was gone.
Kids don't think of such things when they sign up at the age of 18 or 19...... but they should.
NorthCarolinaDude

Yeah, healthcare has become more about profit and bureaucracy than true care. My father was a hospital pharmacist for 30 years in Fairfax County, Virginia and somewhere in the 80s the "administrators" showed up and started to out-number the actual practitioners. Within a decade the hospital quadrupled in size and they had more pharmacists with Pharm-D degrees who "managed" than they did folks actually filling and administrating the drugs.

It's like with the wife's mom, it's more about getting the paperwork down and done before making the next move. So many sign-offs are required and then once you're going down one road all of a sudden a new player shows up and takes everything in a new direction. It's crazy.

Scott