What would you consider to be the ultimate "Gentleman's Automatic Pocket Knife"?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TazmanTom

Re: What would you consider to be the ultimate "Gentleman's Automatic Pocket Knife"?

Post by TazmanTom »

Thank you sir, much appreciated. Tom
frank2104

Re: What would you consider to be the ultimate "Gentleman's Automatic Pocket Knife"?

Post by frank2104 »

Sweet knives.amazing Damascus on these.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

frank2104 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:51 pm Sweet knives.amazing Damascus on these.
Yep.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Up until a few days ago, I would have stuck with my tac-black Virus. Now, however, I suspend final decision until I can get my hands on the "Manticore E" from Heretic. It looks killer and the specs are impressive. The "E" stands for "everyday (carry)" and at 4.75" (closed) it's easier to carry than their larger "Manticore X" model (5.5" closed). Also made with tanto blade and dagger blade. (Info and photo from Heretic Knives)

CPM-S35VN Blade Steel
0.125" Blade Thickness
3.19” Blade length
4.75” Handle Length
0.47” Handle Thickness
7.93” OAL
3.3 oz

$280.00 Base MSRP

P.S. ~ Some might object to this knife as contravening Requirement #1 (not alarming the sheeple) but I believe that almost any OTF can be activated far more discreetly than a side-open. Almost the entire knife handle stays concealed in your hand. Quietly hold the knife at your side or behind your back and press the button. By the time anyone hears the 'click' and starts waking up, you are already calmly spearing that scorpion crawling across the breakfast table. Nobody really sees anything except an already-open pocketknife in your hand. And with a DA, closing is a snap in every sense: swing your hand out of view for a second and by the time they hear the 'click' again, you're already slipping the knife into your pocket. Although you might want to take a moment to wipe off the scorpion goo first.....

Attachments
Heretic__Manticore_E__clip_c.jpg
Heretic__Manticore_E__clip_c.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Button Man,

I'll wholeheartedly agree that hiding an OTF (concealing the lightning-quick, open-close cycle/sequence) is far easier than that of a side-opening auto.

Speaking of "Scorpion goo", have you been dating my sister-in-law? (It would be an honest mistake made but ONCE)!
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

No..... but if she's single, attractive, and owns a pizza joint, I'd definitely consider it.....

Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

button_man wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 am .

No..... but if she's single, attractive, and owns a pizza joint, I'd definitely consider it.....

True story. On her wedding day, she stood 4', 11.5" and weighed 385 lbs. I keep telling people that her husband carried her over the threshold on their wedding night... (He made two trips). :shock:
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

She should roll rather well.
2024 candidate for president
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

manticores.jpg
manticores.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
The Manticore comes in three sizes depending upon your need. Tj is a super nice guy to deal with, not like his father.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Those are nice!
2024 candidate for president
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

sammy the blade wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:21 am Those are nice!
Thank you.
button_man

Post by button_man »

fastr ~ Nice collection! It seems that buyers have to find a retailer; the company does not sell direct.
May I ask where you found the best prices and service for your purchases?

I'm sure that some of us would also be interested in an overall "pros + cons" review of the Manticore.....

fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Actually, I have purchased directly from Heretic at the Blade Show. I kinda lean towards prototypes.
Online:
https://www.americanedgeknives.com/bran ... ic-knives/
https://mayhemedc.com/?fbclid=IwAR37AVw ... Bqn5DWFM4o
These are my main go-to's but Blade Headquarters carries them as does Hollow grind.
I really don't find any negatives. They open quickly and smoothly and if they don't there is excellent customer service. Price is comparable to other otf companies.
button_man

Post by button_man »

fastr ~ Thanks for the links! I am too far from any major shows;
I have to buy online and Heretic does not sell online directly.

jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For function: my Microtech minis

For aesthetics: my Hubertus Guardians

Jim