RJ Rickter RED DOT from the flea !!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fastr19

Re: RJ Rickter RED DOT from the flea !!

Post by fastr19 »

button_man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 pm .
fastr19 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm ....here is what I have read: Rudolph J Richter was a knife producer in Solingen Germany with a branch in Arlington 74 Mass. who sold Helle, Brusletto, and other quality products. He imported knives made in Scandanavia, Germany, and Italy. The source said he distributed quality picklocks in the 70's.
(I wonder where he distributed them?).

This info came from Levine and ebay guides pretty much quoted word for word.
--------------------------------

I emailed this info to Mr. Richter and here is his response:

"After about 1963 my father was a managing director for Bulova watches in Germany, so no further imports by him, and my grandfather was deceased
Don’t know where he thinks he got his information, but it seems wrong to me. My understanding is that my grandfather was a salesman for Solingen knives traveling in eastern Europe, he may have been the owner of a Solingen Knife factory but I have no proof, only that he did travel to sell."

So, according to Mr. Richter, it is very unlikely that any knives were imported with the family name after 1963.

At the bottom of my paragraph, I list my sources.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Yes, I know.... I'm just sort of transferring info back and forth.... don't kill the messenger...!

button_man

Post by button_man »

Just received photos of the (formerly) VERY crusty Latama and the (formerly) shabby Richter with blade peek.
My jaw dropped.... you would not know it was the same pair of knives. Can't wait to get them back!

Attachments
RJ_Richter__594c.jpg
RJ_Richter__594c.jpg (260.31 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Latama__285_c.jpg
Latama__285_c.jpg (429.75 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Latama_Richter__closed.jpg
Latama_Richter__closed.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Latama_Richter__open.jpg
Latama_Richter__open.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Re: Fake Nazi pocket knives-
If you are going to make a fake Nazi knife, why not choose an old, unused maker's name that sounds German?
Because those knives were marked with Richter's marking does not mean anything.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I now have the Richter and the Latama back home. The restorations turned out great!
The blade peek has been fixed and all the parts have been cleaned up, inside and out.

BTW, the Latama seems quite small at 8" -- is this an uncommon size....?

Attachments
Richter__51c.jpg
Richter__51c.jpg (384.99 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Richter__58c__ricasso.jpg
Richter__58c__ricasso.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Latama__61c.jpg
Latama__61c.jpg (240.25 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

On Page 1 of this thread, you can see a small circular depression in the scale at the top of the safety slot.
Would this have originally been filled with red pigment? Is this Richter a "red dot" knife?

I can't tell if there are any faint traces of color in this little circle because I'm partly color-blind....
When I posted this originally I sort of assumed it was a "red dot" but now I'm wondering.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's a red dot and there is red paint in it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks Bill..... like many people with red-green color weakness, I often find it difficult to differentiate between brown and red.
I was just going over some of my knives and I wanted to be sure that I had not made a mistake on this one.