Yesterday I submitted a suggestion to Colonial Knife Company.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Yesterday I submitted a suggestion to Colonial Knife Company.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I suggested that they could purchase the rights from Schatt and Morgan/Queen Cutlery to begin manufacturing a "plunge lock" (button open/close) version of the 1948-1957 version of the Queen pattern #25 "Jet". This "toothpick" version could be made with, or without, a manual scaling blade for fishing. It could also be made in two different sizes for pocket carry and with an optional pocket clip.

One of our best-known members has already informed me of his wholehearted approval of such a venture. This would make the "new" #25 a great "pocket companion". (Make it with a D2 steel clip point and the world would beat a path to their door). If the public insisted on a M390 steel blade, it would be a "gentleman's pocket automatic" that could serve him for the rest of his life, wouldn't it?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WpHaS4iE4p8/V ... %2Bads.jpg
Comments? Opinions?
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Yesterday I submitted a suggestion to Colonial Knife Company.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There are no 'rights" to buy.
That pattern knife has been made by almost all the knife companies over the years. Only Imperial/Hammer and Queen made the pattern in automatic.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

The problem is manufacturing.
Anyone with a shop these days is looking to pay rent, payroll, insurance, not keep raw material laying about.
pinching pennies everywhere they can. . . not spend any time on research and development.

Try getting someone to make a replacement tilt bolster with a different design maltese ears.
as a "kit" . . . . they don't even have to make the whole knife. . . .
There are no takers.

Every time you want to make a knife, or get a shop to make the parts,
They want to change the design to save them time, material, tooling, design work.

And your project evolves into an aluminum assisted opener.

It's really hard to find a retired shop guy who still has his fingers and a machine
who is willing to get involved with a "labor of Love" with a low return on investment.

I would LOVE an old school pearl shell wrap fish-jack toothpick. . . . .
I can't see it happening. . . . . .
I wish it would.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Even an aluminum-handled version would be cool.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:19 am Even an aluminum-handled version would be cool.
Aluminum handles, G-10 scales, and include an H-1 blade and call it the "Navy Jet"! (I also contacted Protec and Benchmade). 8)
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Consider the pattern with the same Case-type construction similar to the Peanut. (Case already has the pattern and adding a plunge-lock to the pattern would be a "piece of cake"). A Stainless Steel model or D2 steel with an OAL of 4" as well as another that's 7" and then a 9" model.

I would bet any amount of money that they would sell more units than most of us would think possible. "Well-dressed" gentlemen would really enjoy a great pocket knife that opens automatically. I can see the ad copy: "What secret does the well-dressed gentleman carry in his pocket? It's the "Pocket Pal" from (Protech, Kershaw, Colonial, Benchmade, Gerber...). 8)

These could even be sold at haberdashers in "auto friendly" states.

What could be more elegant than that?
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

lol. On my way out to my local haberdasher right now.
Fishtail Picklock

whippersnapper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm lol. On my way out to my local haberdasher right now.
Whippersnapper: Of course you realize that Walmart isn't a "haberdasher".
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Of course I know it is a Dollar Tree.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

What is a haberdasher anyway?
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Today, the oft-used term is "Fine Men's Clothing" or "clothier".

In the United States, the term refers instead to a retailer who sells men's clothing, including suits, shirts, and neckties.

This haberdasher is a favorite of mine and has been since 1975. http://www.johnhelmer.com/

John Helmer Haberdasher (since 1921) is located at 696 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205 (at the corner of Broadway and Salmon streets).

John Helmer Haberdasher Inc.
969 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205
(503)223-4976
Toll Free (866)855-4976
www.johnhelmer.com
(503)223-4976

This is not only where I have bought several bowlers, but where you can still by spatterdashes (a.k.a. spats) and expensive shoes and socks. Their suits can run into several hundred dollars to $1000.00 + for custom-tailored outfits. (This isn't the Men's Wearhouse). A good tie will run you $150.00 and a decent shirt begins at $125.00 (+).

No, a good haberdasher can outfit a man with the most discriminating taste with precisely the clothing he needs for any occasion. Sadly, when it comes to men dressing well, our society has been revolving into "Lower SLOBbovia".

Here's the 1948 magazine ad for the Queen #25 "Jet".http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WpHaS4iE4p8/V ... %2Bads.jpg
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

At those prices I'll stick to Walmart.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

sammy the blade wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 pm At those prices I'll stick to Walmart.
The Chinese sweatshops are certainly grateful that you do. (Clean up on aisle 5). :oops: :roll: I'll have your favorite graphic t-shirt pressed for a formal outing. :P
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

Fishtail ~ Just curious.... did the Helmer store survive all of the "mostly peaceful protests"? (as described by David Muir. The idiot.)

Fishtail Picklock

button_man wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 pm .

Fishtail ~ Just curious.... did the Helmer store survive all of the "mostly peaceful protests"? (as described by David Muir. The idiot.)

Yes, John Helmer has been at the same location since 1921. I love the people (the family has owned the store since it first opened. They have survived horrific weather (Columbus Day,1962) and now the recent civil unrest.

They are a true Portland, OR institution.
Fishtail Picklock