Today's haul from the flea

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Re: Today's haul from the flea

Post by jerryk25 »

this rizzuto had the word RIZZUTO across the tang. . . . not where the nail nick would be
this is found on a plain blade with a swedge.
Attachments
rizzuto estileto milano-5895.jpg
rizzuto estileto milano-5895.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Rizzuto-junker-03.jpg
Rizzuto-junker-03.jpg (15.97 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

there are instamped Rizzuto's that are not yet the flimsy 2nd generation rizzys.

Notice the black rizzy does not have handle scale pins.
Attachments
Unstamped-rizzy-red55221.jpg
Unstamped-rizzy-red55221.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Unstamped-rizzy-pr221.jpg
Unstamped-rizzy-pr221.jpg (915.32 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The black-scaled Rizzuto looks a lot like mine.
Fishtail Picklock
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

So many variations of rizzies with batwings,step bolsters and blade grinds and tang stamp placement,humpback and finger groove patterns. When I think clone I think of the Korean 1980s with the fins for the peek.nice thread
button_man

Post by button_man »

Jerry + Fishtail ~ Thanks for the info and photos! I had no idea that Rizzutos existed in so many variations! It would be great if somebody could unearth the details of which types were made by whom during what years and all that..... but I suspect that nobody bothered to keep records because (like many items of a bygone age) these were considered of absolutely no importance whatsoever.

Frank ~ Nobody is more surprised than I am that this actually did turn out to be a fairly interesting thread...! With over a thousand views!
Now I don't feel quite so embarrassed for posting about mundane knives.... you never know in what directions the conversation is going to go.

Fishtail Picklock

These knives are "movie stars" in their own right. They have appeared in at least 30 motion pictures and have been "misused" as well (inserting them in doorknobs, to unlatch hook-and-eye screen doors, etc.). During the early 1970s, they were confiscated from "'hood rats" and street thugs in large numbers. They are a long-standing part of automatic knife history. An inexpensive swing guard knife that crept its way into the hearts and minds of the knife-owning/collecting public.
Fishtail Picklock
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

In the other website, the Rizzuto images covered some 20 pages of variants.
the words rizzuto estiletto was sometimes mis-spelled.

the words appeared on knives without swing-guards, or were on the oval button wasp-waist

My own pieces, on a flat bed scanner, that still are in fair shape and flick dependably.
the two black small rizzy show a blade variation.
One at the bottom has a long tang, the angle the blade sharp edge bevel end is 90 degrees square,
the button has a flat top, and the cross guard has small oval ball ends.

the second from the bottom has a short tang, and a round top button,
and the blade bevel ends have a stylish rake, and cross guards has rounder ball ends.
Attachments
rizzuto-0202.jpg
rizzuto-0202.jpg (377.02 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

A seller on SD currently is offering for sale a Camillus pilot's knife; and as a backdrop shows an original carton
bearing a dire warning against Unauthorized Possession. I have never seen an original carton before.
Unfortunately the carton is not for sale. I have taken the liberty of posting a couple of the photos here (cropped for size).

But I am puzzled by the bar code on the box..... clearly this does not date back to the Viet Nam war era.
Would bar codes like this be in use while this knife was still being made? I don't recall when bar codes first started showing up.

(I thought the price of 125 seemed a little steep, considering that both brass pins are missing in the handle)
Attachments
Camillus__pilots_knife__box_c.jpg
Camillus__pilots_knife__box_c.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Camillus__pilots_knife__caution_c.jpg
Camillus__pilots_knife__caution_c.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I think the pins are there; just tarnished.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Runs of these knives were probably made until Camillus closed.
Whippersnapper is correct- the pins are just tarnished.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

military equipment bar codes pre-date. . . .
government legislated food and drug bar codes
. . . .which pre-date general merchandise bar codes.
They are not all the same stripe pattern or size. All readers do not read all bar codes.

I moved boxes at a helicopter base for my National Guard duty with bar codes on military stuff.
This was definitely BEFORE bar codes were on everything, just on some things.
I remember a guy trying to "read" something he bought, and the reader he had didn't work.
I think it was around 1977-80 when I started seeing it on Food Labels, mostly candy bars.
Things that had small packaging. i remember my Mom being mad they quit putting prices on cans.
it was after 1982 when bar codes became mandatory on meat packaging sold across state lines,
when I had to redesign 84 meat packing labels for a "universal code" space.

Since I draw food labels, I also collect food labels, especially fruit and vegetable oval stickers.
which do not (always) have a bar code, but have a product number ( PLU Code).
button_man

Post by button_man »

Fishtail Picklock wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:03 am The "International Orange" scaled knives were early to mid-1970s Navy issue.
After they continued disappearing from pilot-issued outfits, they went to the shroud-line cutter hook alone.

Bill, Fishtail's statement seems to be at odds with your theory that "Runs of these knives were probably made until Camillus closed."
( Closing seems to have been around February 2007. https://www.stillmadeinusa.com/blog/200 ... nives.html )

---------------------

Okay, I see it now.... it's like one of those optical illusions where you can see something as either elevated or sunken.... I was seeing the upper,
lighter part of the pin as a slightly inset cut-out for the head of a pin, and the lower, darker area as the hole for the pin. Thanks for the correction!

Jerry, you are a treasure-house of knowledge, as always! Thanks for the info on bar codes!

(And I am old enough to remember when everything in stores had a price stamped on the package in purple ink.... the same color
as the mimeographed worksheets and tests that they handed out in school. Supposedly purple was commonly used because it was
the least expensive color. Not sure it that is really true, but it's what I've read. Kids nowadays who watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont
High" are probably puzzled by the scene where all the kids in History class simultaneously lift up their tests and smell them.... but that
mimeograph ink had a distinctive odor when it was freshly-printed; and you just felt compelled to smell it..... )

Fishtail Picklock

button_man wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:12 am .
Fishtail Picklock wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:03 am The "International Orange" scaled knives were early to mid-1970s Navy issue.
After they continued disappearing from pilot-issued outfits, they went to the shroud-line cutter hook alone.

Bill, Fishtail's statement seems to be at odds with your theory that "Runs of these knives were probably made until Camillus closed."
( Closing seems to have been around February 2007. https://www.stillmadeinusa.com/blog/200 ... nives.html )

---------------------

Okay, I see it now.... it's like one of those optical illusions where you can see something as either elevated or sunken.... I was seeing the upper,
lighter part of the pin as a slightly inset cut-out for the head of a pin, and the lower, darker area as the hole for the pin. Thanks for the correction!

Jerry, you are a treasure-house of knowledge, as always! Thanks for the info on bar codes!

(And I am old enough to remember when everything in stores had a price stamped on the package in purple ink.... the same color
as the mimeographed worksheets and tests that they handed out in school. Supposedly purple was commonly used because it was
the least expensive color. Not sure it that is really true, but it's what I've read. Kids nowadays who watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont
High" are probably puzzled by the scene where all the kids in History class simultaneously lift up their tests and smell them.... but that
mimeograph ink had a distinctive odor when it was freshly-printed; and you just felt compelled to smell it..... )

Button man,

The same knife is still being manufactured by Colonial. I also remember the mimeograph ink and its distinctive odor. Colonial's M-724 (including the dreaded shroud line cutting hook) is a mainstay of Colonial's product line. They're making them in 440C and tempering the steel to 58-60 Rockwell Hardness.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

Fishtail ~ I don't understand the two statements "The "International Orange" scaled knives were early to mid-1970s Navy issue"
and "The same knife is still being manufactured by Colonial" simultaneously being true.

How can the manufacture of this knife be confined to the early to mid 1970s if it's still being made?
Or were they Navy issue only during that time period; then were still made (but no longer issued) after that?
Or is there some other distinction that I am missing? Clarification please !

Fishtail Picklock

Two entirely different companies manufacturing the same product with two different formulas. Camillus made them until the US Government replaced the double-ended switchblade/hook unit. Colonial was also a Government supplier and continued producing them after their Government contract expired. They're still producing them today.

This is from Colonial's website: https://www.colonialknifecorp.com/colle ... lade-m-724

They are also producing other versions of the Colonial M-724 for Military/Police/Firefighter applications. (Hint: civilians are buying tons of them).
Fishtail Picklock