Questions about the AGA Frosolone

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Questions about the AGA Frosolone

Post by Mario »

I always thought the AGA Campolin Frosolone was an interesting looking knife. Was it intended to be opened in a reverse grip of sorts? Looking at the placement of the button, I was wondering if that was the intent of the design. It must have a really long button rocker! Where does the name “Frosolone” come from?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Questions about the AGA Frosolone

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Legend has it that the knife was meant to be held in the hand in an overhead stabbing position-and the button pushed with the middle finger.
Frosolone is a city in Italy. Cutlery is made there.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:28 am Legend has it that the knife was meant to be held in the hand in an overhead stabbing position-and the button pushed with the middle finger.
Frosolone is a city in Italy. Cutlery is made there.
Thanks Bill! Your knowledge and expertise is always appreciated!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Mario wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:21 am Was it intended to be opened in a reverse grip of sorts? Looking at the placement of the button, I was wondering if that was the intent of the design.
I think one of my first posts here was asking about the low button placement on Frosolones and some vintage French knives. I can't think of any other practical reason for it other than a reverse grip. Or maybe they thought it looked cool that way.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I believe the intent was to make the blade release button available to either the middle or ring (fourth) finger of the right hand. This permits the blade to open against the forearm (thus concealing the threat). This, in turn, positions the knife for acquiring a reverse grip for a "downward" plunge onto the intended target.
Fishtail Picklock