Vintage "Latama" with rare pantograph engraving.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Peiper

Vintage "Latama" with rare pantograph engraving.

Post by Peiper »

Here is my Latama with the small ears and rare pantograph engraving. The front of the switchblade is stamped "Made in Italy" and the back of the blade is engraved "Latama - Made in Italy". Walt told me the pantograph engraving was done in the United States in order to comply with marking regulations.

Peiper
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (263.69 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (150.93 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
IMG_5597.jpg
IMG_5597.jpg (208.78 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
IMG_5598.jpg
IMG_5598.jpg (216.75 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Jackalope

Re: Vintage "Latama" with rare pantograph engraving.

Post by Jackalope »

I have seen a variety of the pantographed Latama's but yours is one of the nicest. Congrats! 😎
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I think that's the first 13" I've seen with that trait. Nice.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

fastr19 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:52 pm I think that's the first 13" I've seen with that trait. Nice.
Are u sure that’s a 13”? I could be and probably am incorrect but it looks like an 11” to me. Maybe we could get the post originator, Peiper to verify. In any account that is prize to cherish.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Are u sure that’s a 13”? I could be and probably am incorrect but it looks like an 11” to me. Maybe we could get the post originator, Peiper to verify. In any account that is prize to cherish.
Sorry guys, I did not mention the size. It is 11".
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

in all my years of collecting picklocks, I have never seen a stamp like that, very cool find.
thom

Post by thom »

Awesome
john

Post by john »

Very nice awesome addition to your collection’
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

nice old picklock but not a real latama , there was lots of talk on these pantograph marked knives , i like few others do not believe they are Real there is no proof the markings were made in the 1950's or when the knives were made.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

METALGOD wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 pm nice old picklock but not a real latama , there was lots of talk on these pantograph marked knives , i like few others do not believe they are Real there is no proof the markings were made in the 1950's or when the knives were made.
Good point. Then there are the questions, why would it be marked "MADE IN ITALY" on both sides of the tang, and why does LATAMA appear on the back and not the front? Of course anything is possible, but has anyone seen markings like this back in the day? Or say 20 years ago?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Peiper wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 am Here is my Latama with the small ears and rare pantograph engraving. The front of the switchblade is stamped "Made in Italy" and the back of the blade is engraved "Latama - Made in Italy". Walt told me the pantograph engraving was done in the United States in order to comply with marking regulations.

Peiper
That's a beauty Peiper! I have a similar 9" model. As you said, brass pivot, small ears, mine has tabbed brackets (no D stamp) and octagon shaped lock tab. As far as I know, each of these traits lean toward late 1940's (to me). I see no reason to think they aren't "real" Latama's, since they were importing from wherever they could get them...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knives are legitimate. Why would someone mark the exact same knives that Latama sold?
I'm sure these were bought from stock in Italy. I'm also sure they were marked here, as Gorton pantographs were generally not available in Italy when the knives were made.
After doing pretty exhaustive research on these markings, I say the knives are legitimate. I was skeptical at first, but far too many have showed up, and they are all exactly like conventional-marked Latama/Coricama/Edwin Jay, etc. knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are for sure 1940's picklocks but not real latama's , they have some of same characteristics as real latama's is why they were used for the pantograph, the seller put the marking on there to make more money off of knife plain and simple guys , latama picklocks 20 years ago were at their peak in money value , a regular (made in italy) stamped 1940's or 1950's picklock was no were near the value of a latama marked picklock so markings were put on to make more money, there were few shady guys in the business years ago and anyone could put a pantograph marking on any old or new knife , it was done for money plain and simple , there were few picklocks done with pantograph Latama and coricama too and maybe more , like i stated there is no proof or evidence that these are real and ask yourself why were only a handfull done that way , if latama or coricama were marking them after they arrived here in usa(which i do not believe) why only few exist ? there would have been hundreds or thousands right ??? they are not rare the are fake lol
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

bill said it patograph was only an american thing back then so why would latama or coricama mark the knives after they came to america ?? i dont believe that , think about it they were sold to many different business in usa so every business would have to mark the knives , back then the knives cost 5-10 bucks each so for me to believe they got the knives in to usa then took a extra step to mark them for sale here lol i dont believe that at all .
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Bill have you seen knives just like these (made in italy) but without the Latama pantograph ?