Heads up swingguard collectors

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
pappy57

Heads up swingguard collectors

Post by pappy57 »

Just saw PVK has new "LATAMA" swing guards not yet on Walt's site. 11in. 5mm backspring and blade.
JulesVane

Re: Heads up swingguard collectors

Post by JulesVane »

pappy57 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:19 pm Just saw PVK has new "LATAMA" swing guards not yet on Walt's site. 11in. 5mm backspring and blade.
Hi Ron!...Sure resembles an 11" Frank Beltrame swinguard too. Oval hole and all...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

You just had to ruin it didn’t you Chris 😉
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Walt had some at the Atlanta Blade show. He must have sold them. Were they posted on his website? I never did check to see if they were or not. I do not collect them.
Attachments
IMG_5335.jpg
IMG_5335.jpg (181.46 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Dang ….. there goes my budget right out the window!
Pachinko799

Post by Pachinko799 »

That all black horn is interesting. The price is steep for a new knife.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

11" 5mm Frank B swinguards is what they are walter has all his knives made by frank beltrame , i was first one with this idea that i presented to frank over 15 years ago right after walt came out with 5mm picklocks i wanted to have 11" 5mm swinguards made but was told they couldnt make them for some reason , with my experience in italian knives these should be no more than $250- 300 range if they are any more than that wait little while AGA will make some and be more realistic on price , walter is way over priced on everything he sells they are just frank beltram knives made thicker so why the sticker shock lol walt , personally i think all his knives are way over priced for what they are shit man i can get custom made switchblades or swinguards or what ever for better prices than any his knives lol , i would like one these new swinguards myself but im not paying 500+ for it lol
thom

Post by thom »

The Frank B are stainless bolsters. The Walts are nickel silver. To me that’s a big difference. Yes they are too expensive but feel a Walts compared to the Frank B. No comparison. I wish they were less expensive but I am very happy with mine. I actually ordered another from Horizon Blade Works. They are less expensive than PVK.
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

It'd be hard to argue that Walt's knives aren't sold at a premium. However, as a collector, I will pay the premium for buying from him for a number of reasons. The 2 biggest reasons: One, I can see pictures of the actual knife I will be purchasing! That is worth a lot to me. Pictures can show the knife open and closed and will give you a really good idea of what you're buying. Most places you can buy retail will show you a "representation" of what you'll be getting. When you are looking for certain scale coloration, etc then that is important. Let's face it, who is buying any of these as EDC? So pics are important. Two, I've found Walt to be good to deal with and generally responsive to my inquiries.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Deleted
Last edited by Tom19176 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Last edited by Luke_of_Mass on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

thanks
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Good day everyone. It's always me Ivano Beltrame, as usual I wanted to spend a few words and explain to those who feel so expert in knives and not very expert. The 5mm Walts are very different from the swinguards I normally make. Those who are passionate and "expert" will have noticed that all 4 1mm nickel silver escutcheons (just to be clear it costs € 36 per kilo) and are all solid bolsters. They were attacked with tin and acid by me personally, then finished and polished by hand. It took me 5 days just to polish them. Even the guards are all in nickel silver and even those have been hand polished by me, I won't even tell you what it took me to make 500 pieces by hand. A new internal stainless steel spring is also mounted on these swinguards (an absolute novelty for this type of thickness I already mounted them in my 4mm) which, together with the lever and the blade, carries all the mechanical lock of the stainless steel movements. On these swinguards there are novelties and innovations never seen before on this type of thickness. There is, as usual, a lot of manual skills and craftsmanship. On the high price I can not argue, you still take home a swinguards 5mm branded latama historical brand in which Walter believed and so did I, since they are productions that I do exclusively for this glorious brand that deserves respect in the world of automatic. I will not answer those who insult me ​​and want to use the chat for reasons of personal resentment or for senseless outbursts. Hello everybody.

Ivano
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Ivano, while I do not quite agree with Walt's prices, I cannot imagine that anyone could rightfully blame you or Frank, and it doesn't seem like anybody has. You do your jobs as makers and export them and that is that. Walt is the retailer and handles things as he sees fit, even if some people disagree with his prices.

I'm glad to hear that much of the work is still traditionally hand made as it reinforces reason to pay respectable prices for your work (I wish nickel silver was present in all your models! -- will we see this someday??)

Luke
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Ivano -
Thank you for visiting the site!

I'm sure I will add a couple of these new swing guards to my collection as soon as they are up on Walt's site.

Do you think the flatguard or swing guard will be produced with a traditional bayonet blade?