Honey Horn vs. French Tip?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DG Ralph

Re: Honey Horn vs. French Tip?

Post by DG Ralph »

All of the French tip I've seen have been various shades of cream to tan to brown. Honey is usually transparent to some degree or another. Whereas Blonde will be light but solid color, not transparent.
Good Luck,
DGRalph
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

huckles wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm I have a question about horns used in the Italian stiletto handles. I've gotten to where I can tell the difference between Buffalo and Brazilian dark horn. But I'm not seeing the distinction between the blondes "Honey Horn" and "French Tip". Latama site currently has one of each for sale under half grinds and charges differently for the two. So, educate me, please.
Chuck
Here is the difference between blonde horn and horn tip. The first bottom is blonde horn with its original white and honey colors. The other three above have shaded and flamed colors. I hope I have given the idea of ​​the difference.<br /><br />Ivano
Here is the difference between blonde horn and horn tip. The first bottom is blonde horn with its original white and honey colors. The other three above have shaded and flamed colors. I hope I have given the idea of ​​the difference.

Ivano
20210721_082922.jpg (605.29 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
thom

Post by thom »

French Tip is my favorite.

thom

Post by thom »

Belivi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 am
huckles wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm I have a question about horns used in the Italian stiletto handles. I've gotten to where I can tell the difference between Buffalo and Brazilian dark horn. But I'm not seeing the distinction between the blondes "Honey Horn" and "French Tip". Latama site currently has one of each for sale under half grinds and charges differently for the two. So, educate me, please.
Chuck
20210721_082922.jpg
Ivano, I have always wondered what type of horn this one is? It's very unique. It's is difficult to capture the true look of this horn.

Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

DSCN5370.JPG
DSCN5370.JPG (233.77 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
DSCN5371.JPG
DSCN5371.JPG (200.36 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
What is this horn?
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

thom wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Belivi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 am
Chuck
20210721_082922.jpg
Ivano, I have always wondered what type of horn this one is? It's very unique. It's is difficult to capture the true look of this horn.

Hi Thom your pieces are French horn tip. Even though humpback is photographed all red I can see the reddish streaks of the horn tip. The tip the more you get close to the vertite and the more valuable it is and the more colors it has. As you move away from the top it begins to turn yellow with white and dark streaks. It always depends on the animal and the context in which it lived. Anyway, I assure you that my knives are French horn points.

Ivano.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Jackalope wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm DSCN5370.JPG
DSCN5371.JPG

What is this horn?
Hi Jackalope, even if they are not my knives I would like to tell you that they are horn point. But as I said before, they are the slightly lower part or the animal had not yet developed the reddish streaks.

Ivano
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Belivi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am
Jackalope wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm DSCN5370.JPG
DSCN5371.JPG

What is this horn?
Hi Jackalope, even if they are not my knives I would like to tell you that they are horn point. But as I said before, they are the slightly lower part or the animal had not yet developed the reddish streaks.

Ivano
For example, the RAM horn only the part of the last two in the picture (excluding the tip) becomes the handle, the rest is too thin and is discarded.
Attachments
20210722_110007.jpg
20210722_110007.jpg (383.91 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
20210722_105950.jpg
20210722_105950.jpg (402.74 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
20210722_105943.jpg
20210722_105943.jpg (315.06 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
20210722_105916.jpg
20210722_105916.jpg (659.36 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

... sorry only. the part of the first two photos. He gave it to me when I published.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Thank you for the explanation. That helps.
thom

Post by thom »

Belivi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:11 am ... sorry only. the part of the first two photos. He gave it to me when I published.
Thank you for clearing up my question and thank you for the lesson. Much appreciated.
Thom
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I just picked up my first example of the new design of standard stiletto with the oval hole, which I admit is growing on me, if only a little.

Figured I'd share it as I believe the scales are relevant here, although 3knives called it "French Bovine Horn" - I <think> its criteria fits with French Tip horn, though not as beautiful as the ones Ivano just shared:

(if there's a more appropriate term for this horn, do let me know!)

My only problem with the piece is that the pommel appears neglected compared to models I bought in 2016 and 2017 (see comparison)

--edit--

I just noticed this - what is used to patch/close the sear channel? That's a new feature!

Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:40 pm I just picked up my first example of the new design of standard stiletto with the oval hole, which I admit is growing on me, if only a little.

Figured I'd share it as I believe the scales are relevant here, although 3knives called it "French Bovine Horn" - I <think> its criteria fits with French Tip horn, though not as beautiful as the ones Ivano just shared:

My only problem with the piece is that the pommel appears neglected compared to models I bought in 2016 and 2017 (see comparison)

--edit--

I just noticed this - what is used to patch/close the sear channel? That's a new feature!

Hi Luke, I see your posts now. I am not a regular person in looking at social networks and for this reason I am not very quick in replying. The blond horn handle some also call it French horn, but to be specific you have to ask AKC who sold it to you what kind of horn it refers to. In the finishing of the caseback today I no longer work it because I have reached a very high degree of precision in the coupling of the spring, if you notice the spring is shiny and coupled to the brass there are no annoying jolts even on the whole side of the lateral support. This is because the holes are perfectly laser cut and then they are also reamed to make the fit as precise as possible. The knives that have the taping process at the bottom are sheared springs that protruded a lot and needed that process in order to make the knife salable. I like the non-machined version more, it gives a sense of precision and care in the workmanship.

Ivano
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

i have to disagree with ivano , i like the machined version better ,just looks better all around, the non-machined looks cheap like Taiwan made stiletto's lol .
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Belivi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:28 am
Luke_of_Mass wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:40 pm I just picked up my first example of the new design of standard stiletto with the oval hole, which I admit is growing on me, if only a little.

--edit--

Hi Luke, I see your posts now. I am not a regular person in looking at social networks and for this reason I am not very quick in replying. The blond horn handle some also call it French horn, but to be specific you have to ask AKC who sold it to you what kind of horn it refers to. In the finishing of the caseback today I no longer work it because I have reached a very high degree of precision in the coupling of the spring, if you notice the spring is shiny and coupled to the brass there are no annoying jolts even on the whole side of the lateral support. This is because the holes are perfectly laser cut and then they are also reamed to make the fit as precise as possible. The knives that have the taping process at the bottom are sheared springs that protruded a lot and needed that process in order to make the knife salable. I like the non-machined version more, it gives a sense of precision and care in the workmanship.

Ivano
Thanks for the clarification, and no worries I am glad to hear from you - I know AKC has their own terminology for the horn, But I was curious what you and Frank call this specific piece since you made it, but it sounds like it could be either french or blonde horn. Either way, it's very beautiful!

And what is the substance closing the scale in the last picture? Calk?

I think I will grind the bottom of the knife - it just looks more polished (finished) this way, but I understand why you might skip the part if it's not jagged or otherwise too rough to enjoy.
Last edited by Luke_of_Mass on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...