Honey Horn vs. French Tip?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
huckles

Honey Horn vs. French Tip?

Post by huckles »

I have a question about horns used in the Italian stiletto handles. I've gotten to where I can tell the difference between Buffalo and Brazilian dark horn. But I'm not seeing the distinction between the blondes "Honey Horn" and "French Tip". Latama site currently has one of each for sale under half grinds and charges differently for the two. So, educate me, please.
Chuck
john

Re: Honey Horn vs. French Tip?

Post by john »

From my understanding:
French Tip is more colorful. It like regular cow horn, kind of plain but nice vs Brazilian a lot more colors.
Blonde horn is very attractive. It has less coloration than French tip.
I hopes can give us more information.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

huckles wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm I have a question about horns used in the Italian stiletto handles. I've gotten to where I can tell the difference between Buffalo and Brazilian dark horn. But I'm not seeing the distinction between the blondes "Honey Horn" and "French Tip". Latama site currently has one of each for sale under half grinds and charges differently for the two. So, educate me, please.
Chuck

I feel like spending a few words on this controversy. The blond horn is the zebu horn 'it is a light horn and not a buffalo horn. The Brazilian buffalo horn is another thing and other textures. The tip of the horn is just the tip of the blond horn, it is the most precious part and comes at most a handle and is very difficult to work. When you cut to give the shape of the handle there are many tensions on the fibers and many times the handle explodes during the milling. Here is the high cost. In addition to coming a few pieces there are many scraps. I hope I have clarified.

Ivano Beltrame.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Yes, you have clarified it. Thank you Ivano.

Jim
huckles

Post by huckles »

Ivano: You provide good insight into my so-much-to-learn tiny brain. So maybe you said it but I still don't quite understand. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between honey horn and tip horn and are you saying they potentially can come from the same animal's single horn? Thank you.
Chuck
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

huckles wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 pm Ivano: You provide good insight into my so-much-to-learn tiny brain. So maybe you said it but I still don't quite understand. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between honey horn and tip horn and are you saying they potentially can come from the same animal's single horn? Thank you.
Chuck
You can tell them apart. The horn tip has more brownish colors, has less yellow and is not transparent. The colors intertwine as if to create a kind of "flame". The blond horn that I use now (2021) on my pieces is more selected and closer to the tip and if you notice it is more beautiful than in time and less transparent. The last horn tip I've made is the Walts Latama 5mm swinguards. they're really beautiful.

Ivano Beltrame
huckles

Post by huckles »

Thanks for additional clarification Ivano. Also looking forward to holding one of those swinguards! Walt told me those swinguards were also going to be a true 11 inches and not 28 centimeters. Any reason this was done? And the most important question, when is he releasing those ;^) ?
Chuck
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Hi huckles, I must say that from 2020 the declared measurements (cm23, 28) are exact. In recent years, when the blades and springs were sheared, the measurements were not exactly exact. If you go to measure 23 and 28 a few years ago they are 22.5 or less and 27.4. On the 23rd I managed to bring it to exactly 23 without changing the spring. In the 28cm on the actual production of the springs looking at the part where the blade closes you will find like a hump at the bottom. This means that the spring has been modified to hold the longer blade in. (This thanks to the lasers) Try to see if there is a hump at the bottom and measure, exactly 28 cm (maybe even 1mm more). The swinguards have also been subjected to this "cure" but the total length of the swinguards is longer than 28cm I think it's about 30cm. As for walts I can't tell you anything, try to contact him he should have something.

Ivano
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

As for walts I can't tell you much, try to contact him. It has amazing 5mm swinguards
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Which one is this one? Honey Horn or French Tip?
Attachments
IMG_8928.jpg
IMG_8928.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
IMG_8927.jpg
IMG_8927.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

*Removed*
Last edited by JulesVane on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Peiper wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:36 pm Which one is this one? Honey Horn or French Tip?

From the photos I can not understand well. It looks like a blond horn to me. It is definitely not a horn tip.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:03 pm
Belivi wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am As for walts I can't tell you much, try to contact him. It has amazing 5mm swinguards
Ciao Ivano! Can I ask: Who is Giovanni Beltrame? A lot of new production I've seen claim to be made by him using the Made In Italy marking. Sorry to intrude on the horn thread.
Sorry, I'm just talking about my productions and the GREAT Frank
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you, I understand. Thanks for all the great information.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

you mean the GREAT Frank Beltrame who rips off his long time customers and friends ??????? i considered myself a friend of the family for many years up until sara/frank decided to rip me off.
do yourself a favor and avoid Frank Beltrame and any his family members sara ivano etc... unless you like being ripped off do not send them any money . they ripped me off on my stamp i own the 9" picklock stamp , i asked nicely to either give me the stamp or refund the money i paid for it sara told me i will not get stamp or refund , also got ripped off for 900.00 for stiletto knives they claim (was delivered) , 3 packages sent 2 with tracking 1 without the 1 without never made it to its destination, i asked for tracking for 3 weeks with no response then i get email says package was delivered but it wasnt .
dont trust frank ivano or sara you do your in for a ride and may lose lot of money in the process , avoid at all costs .