Frank blade hole

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Belivi

Frank blade hole

Post by Belivi »

Hi everyone, I'm Ivano Beltrame and I'm the son of the most famous Frank. I wanted to clarify the 2.0 hole adopted on the blades starting from 2020. Many of you have noticed that the hole on the blade has become through, I'm glad you talked about it. Some, especially the purists, didn't like it. Well I tell you that the hole is made by laser it is not a hole but a slot and it was done on purpose to improve the knife. The blade is not from China as well as any part of the knife. All done in Maniago and its surroundings, however in Italy. The slot was made so that the closing tooth had a straight surface on which to rest. Sometimes, in fact, with the normal hole, there were problems in closing. The tooth did not touch the exact equator of the circle and did not close well. Consequence of the rattling button and not the perfect closure of the blade (it was not possible to close or the tip of the blade protruding from the handle when closed) Unfortunately or fortunately (this switcblade enthusiasts know this) the snap knife is a handmade knife and as such it has tolerances of tenths or even a millimeter. I don't want to make a CNC knife all the same, so I try to improve the knife with technology without distorting it. The buttonhole, however, also passes through for another reason, the tip of the button is not always the same length (in fact it is cut) and sometimes it is a little longer and therefore touched the bottom of the hole and the button jingles when closed . To conclude, my switchblades are handcrafted without drawing heavily on cnc where you will find knives all the same. In my knives there is a lot of dexterity and knowledge of the product. Every now and then I get ideas and I try to implement them (see the swinguards with the slots in the blade) you should know that 5/6 were made and they were part of a static collection of mine, I had no intention of selling them. Then a customer came here and fell in love with them and bought them all. I assure you that they are nowhere to be found and those who have them do well to keep them, perhaps in a few years they will be collectible since they have not been made anymore.

I hope I've been exhaustive.

Ivano Beltrame.
Tom19176

Re: Frank blade hole

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Ivano for this information. There are well known knife repair people here in the US that have stated parts came from China, and I am very glad you corrected that question. Keep up the great work !!!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Ivano I posted this on five Face Book sites I am a member of and on Sharper Deals also. I hope this helps get you message out.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Tanks a lot Tom, if you want to see prototypes or part of the unique pieces I make you can visit the istagram page ivo.bel you can find the explanation of some knives you find around and an interesting restoration of a 13 "knife.

Bye and have a good day.
Ivano Beltrame
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thank you for this information Ivano, and for helping keep the art of handmade switchblades alive.

Jim
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Thanks a lot Jim :oops:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Thanks, Ivano. This is important information for those of us who collect high quality knives such as those made by you and your father. Please keep up the great work!
stiletto39

Post by stiletto39 »

Thank you for the information Ivano!
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Ivano! Is wonderful information and very happy to see you post. I met you several years ago at your father's shop. I was there with my two sons and wife. I brought your father some glass that I made. It was wonderful to meet all of you just sorry that I have not made it back there yet. I hope that you and your family are well.
Maybe you will continue to make posts. It is very good to hear directly from you.

Ciao
Greg
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Ivano, thank you for posting this information.
I’m a huge fan of you and your father’s work.
I hope you’ll continue to post here.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Thanks to all those who answered me and encouraged me in my work, I make these knives especially for you and that YOU are happy with the product. Someone sometimes asks me why I don't have a large collection of my knives. Well I reply that my collection is scattered around the world in your homes and displays, that you keep very well and love your knives. Thanks again to all of you who answered me (I remember when if you came to visit us and you gave the glass to my dad, he still has it) and also to those who have only seen my post. I am not one to intervene in the forums, usually, but this time I wanted to point out some inaccurate or completely wrong things. I take this opportunity to say that the blades from 2019/2020 have widened (as many of you have noticed) because I wanted to give the blade a more arrow-like shape, with a straight line and an accentuated tip, to the benefit of a better penetration and robustness. The blades have also been lengthened by a few millimeters (have you noticed?) Especially the 28 cm before was 27.5mm to be precise. In addition, a great work of revolution has been done on the spring (beating heart of the snap knife) now the spring is all stainless steel (from 2019) and you will no longer have to worry about rust. Finally, from this year and something from the end of 2020, the blades and springs are 4mm thick. There will be some news starting next year but that I will not reveal to you. Good day everyone.

Ivano Beltrame :lol:
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Una domanda perché mi duplica una parte del.messaggio e ne ho 2 di post?
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Sorry I wrote in Italian. But why do I duplicate a message and I have 2 identical posts?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks again for the additional information ! The post of your message I added on FB and Sharper Deals has had a very good response.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I bought this Frank B 11" a few months ago.
Impeccable fit and finish. A perfect example of Ivano's post