Repair & Custom Handles??

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TexasRed

Repair & Custom Handles??

Post by TexasRed »

I purchased a switchblade recently and I really love everything about it's design and look. However, I wish the fit-up of the metal parts was better and I would really like to have some cool scales added to it (the current scales are well fitted nice stag, but I am think I would like something more unique). The knife is decent now (little more side-to-side blade movement that I like). Anyway, I was thinking about having this knife's "fit and finish cleaned-up," new scales added, and making it my personal favorite.

So, here is my question:

Can anyone in the group recommend a good person or company to do this type of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
WIN_20210327_17_25_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210327_17_25_55_Pro.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
whippersnapper

Re: Repair & Custom Handles??

Post by whippersnapper »

Check with Bill DeShivs or JimBrown257.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Agreed!

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks for the referral, guys!
For the record, I'm unable to do any customizing for the forseeable future, because my repair work load is far too heavy.
I only do rehandles that are a necessary part of a repair.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

If Jeremy (jimbrown257) memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7090 is too busy you might also try muskrat man - but his site says he is swamped too.
http://muskratmanknives.com/
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jeremy does good work.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I have strong misgivings about saying this, because it seems certain to create controversy and ill-will..... but dammit, if I was thinking about spending a lot of money on repairs, I would want somebody to speak up.... so, here goes:

A couple of years ago, I needed a spring replaced. I contacted a repair guy whom I had seen mentioned on another site and made arrangements. I explained that I also wanted the blade channel cleaned out, because it was very dirty and looked to have some beginning corrosion. I was quoted $80 for the work, which I paid up front; and when the knife was returned to me, the replacement spring was a rusty piece of junk and nothing had been done to clean out the blade channel. For eighty bucks, he couldn't even be bothered to spend a minute or two with a rotary wire-brush, removing the rust on the replacement spring?! Even if it had cost a little extra --which it shouldn't have, because it was part of the deal at the quoted price-- I would have paid more to have the blade channel cleaned. You can imagine how disappointed I was at this poor excuse for repair.

The repair "expert" responsible for this shoddy work has now been mentioned in this thread. Needless to say, it is NOT Bill. That's all I feel like saying about this incident.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Shouldn't you have taken this subject up with the person who did the work for you and tried to settle it privately rather than taking it public here?
button_man

Post by button_man »

Billyfish ~ YOU have no idea what communication may or may not have transpired in private. As for public comment, I believe this is a public forum. And I posted for the sole purpose of informing and helping others, which I view as worthwhile. Moreover, I did so knowing that I would receive no thanks and probably a bunch of grief. There is no upside for me in all this. If all I wanted was to stand on a soapbox and complain, I would have done so long ago; but I have said nothing until now. I have made the decision to stick out my neck solely in order to assist others.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

button_man wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:54 pm Billyfish ~ YOU have no idea what communication may or may not have transpired in private. As for public comment, I believe this is a public forum. And I posted for the sole purpose of informing and helping others, which I view as worthwhile. Moreover, I did so knowing that I would receive no thanks and probably a bunch of grief. There is no upside for me in all this. If all I wanted was to stand on a soapbox and complain, I would have done so long ago; but I have said nothing until now. I have made the decision to stick out my neck solely in order to assist others.
Button_Man:

Thank you for your feedback. I did ask for recommendations and you provided me with feedback from a prospective source. I for one appreciate the honest feedback you provided.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Tex ~ Thank you for the kind words. This was my sole motivation.... to send up a warning flag to others. Not all of the hazards in our hobby are counterfeiters in China; some are a lot closer to home. And if people don't have the gumption to speak up to help other folks, then this site will IMO be the poorer for it.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

And I wouldn't give recommendations if I was aware of problems.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 am And I wouldn't give recommendations if I was aware of problems.
Never thought you would. I appreciate all the input. Everyone has different experiences with different people.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Just to be crystal clear, two people (other than Bill) have been referenced in this thread as possible choices for repair jobs. I choose not to specify which person was involved with my situation; but in my initial post here, I worded the first sentence in my second paragraph very carefully -- the phrasing is meaningful not only for the words chosen, but also for the words not chosen. It should not be lost on anybody that another person who posted before me also was precise in what he did say, and did not say. You do not have to be a Bletchley Park code analyst to figure this out.

This concludes my participation in this thread.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Rats.... I meant to say the THIRD paragraph. Okay, now I'm done.