Fakes

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TexasRed

Fakes

Post by TexasRed »

Can anyone give me a crash course in “fakes.” I am new to this and have only really been buying from reputable dealers. What are some if the main was to tell a Chinese “fake” (or any other fakes) from a real Italian? Pics would be great if you have them. I am a visual learner.
Tom19176

Re: Fakes

Post by Tom19176 »

The really good fakes take some real studying of these knives to tell. On the swing guards the fakes then to have stainless steel liners, different blade grinds and button/safety placement. Some what same for the stiletto style models. The knocks offs favor dagger blades but the bayonets are faked too....
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Sometimes it's difficult for a novice to spot fakes. The first indicator would be the price, if the price is too low that would be the first red flag.

Most of the AKC marked stilettos are fakes and as Tom mentioned they have SS liners. Also they use a variety of kick springs and usually don't have the flat polished springs seen on an Italian knife. The backsprings on the fakes are satin finished , the Italian knives are usually polished.

The acrylic scales on the fakes are never fitted right and have noticeable gaps where they meet the bolsters.

The fake leverlocks usually don't resemble the real knife they are faking and they usually stamp "AKC" and Bill's trademark on everything.

But there are exceptions , I have a few unmarked Chinese stilettos with brass liners and polished backsprings. But the scales are still sloppy at the bolsters and they use those generic round kicksprings.

Here's a few shots of a real Frank B 9" next to a fake AKC branded knife ( the AKC mark has been removed )
Frank B knife is on the top, except for the open knife shot, it's the bottom knife with the dagger grind and has the new oval hole.
And you can see that the fake knife's blade hole does not go through.

Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

One additional thing on fakes... the top bolsters r more like pillows. They r not as well defined. That’s the first thing I look for.
button_man

Post by button_man »

JPD1998 ~ Thanks for the tutorial.... it was very illuminating and I greatly appreciate it!
I would love to see more side-by-side photos and explanations like this!
I have seen a number of knives recently that I suspect might be fake, but I don't have enough experience to really tell for sure.

BTW, it looks like the fake blade is a little shorter when you compare the two blades resting in the blade channels.....
probably the fakers figured that they could save a tenth of a cent on each piece and nobody would really notice.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

JPD1998-
Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was hopping to get. I always hear “just look at them” but when you are new to this, you don’t know what you are looking at!! I understand that this will take years to learn, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks again for some great photos and great info.
john

Post by john »

The safety slot is huge on most of the fakes.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

button_man wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:00 pm JPD1998 ~ Thanks for the tutorial.... it was very illuminating and I greatly appreciate it!
I would love to see more side-by-side photos and explanations like this!
I have seen a number of knives recently that I suspect might be fake, but I don't have enough experience to really tell for sure.

BTW, it looks like the fake blade is a little shorter when you compare the two blades resting in the blade channels.....
probably the fakers figured that they could save a tenth of a cent on each piece and nobody would really notice.
Yes, it's a tad shorter and the blade stock is thinner.
If you look at the fake you can see the way the edge is ground, they can do that because the blade stock is thin.
I've never seen an Italian knife with a factory edge like that.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

TexasRed wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:44 pm JPD1998-
Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was hopping to get. I always hear “just look at them” but when you are new to this, you don’t know what you are looking at!! I understand that this will take years to learn, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks again for some great photos and great info.
I'm glad it helped, I have another fake with brass liners. Same sloppy fit on the scales and the round kick spring.
I'll try to get some pictures of that one next to a real one.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

john wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:46 pm The safety slot is huge on most of the fakes.
Yes , most of them never reach the top position ( full safe).
There's a gap, like the one in my picture.

Also on some, the button hole on the scale is too large.