Picklock sharpening fails

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Picklock sharpening fails

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have noticed with many 1950s picklocks that I own and have owned that many have a failed attempt at putting a cutting edge on the blade. I have one that has deep scratches but doesn't appear to have ever had a sharp edge. Another one I have looks like someone tried a few times on a coarse sharpener but then gave up and put the knife away because the blade is otherwise excellent. Was it possible to put a decent cutting edge on these knives?
sammy the blade

Re: Picklock sharpening fails

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm sure it's possible but it may require voodoo.
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

I once read on either on SD or here that stilettos were made for stabbing not cutting or opening letters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The bevel angles are too steep to put a decent edge on those knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
hwevers

Post by hwevers »

As just about every Italian stiletto that was imported before 1958 was a NOVELTY item, it's not surprising that they can't be sharpened. More of a function of the quality off the steel than anything else, I think. I've seen a few (and I own one) where the "sharpening" (attempt) has taken away a good portion of the blade.

Howard
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Are you talking about something like this? It seems like they weren't sure how to use their new rotary tools. Whenever I see one I think "Bruce Willis keyed it!"
Attachments
IMG_2786.JPG
IMG_2786.JPG (115.68 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

Not the "bayonet" but the "standard" blade could be sharpened a little. Since the blade is very narrow, the blade losts very quick its original shape after resharpening.
button_man

Post by button_man »

While I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, Italy has been notorious for millennia for the use of daggers meant solely for thrusting rather than cutting. The assassination of Julius Caesar is a classic example that is virtually identical to the latest shanking in your nearest State prison -- multiple stab wounds that cause massive internal bleeding and organ failure.

Prior to advances in surgery in the 20th century, it was possible for a person to survive cuts; sometimes even severe cuts..... but deep wounds that caused major internal damage were usually fatal. Look at the rapiers and daggers carried in Renaissance Italy -- few personal weapons were designed for slashing; most were designed for deep penetration for this very reason. Stiletto-style switchblades are a continuation of this design.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

button_man wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm While I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, Italy has been notorious for millennia for the use of daggers meant solely for thrusting rather than cutting. The assassination of Julius Caesar is a classic example that is virtually identical to the latest shanking in your nearest State prison -- multiple stab wounds that cause massive internal bleeding and organ failure.

Prior to advances in surgery in the 20th century, it was possible for a person to survive cuts; sometimes even severe cuts..... but deep wounds that caused major internal damage were usually fatal. Look at the rapiers and daggers carried in Renaissance Italy -- few personal weapons were designed for slashing; most were designed for deep penetration for this very reason. Stiletto-style switchblades are a continuation of this design.
I am not an expert either, but I agree with you. While modern knives made for piercing have cutting edges, most vintage ones didn't. Bayonets from World War II and earlier didn't have cutting edges.
Knfcollector

Post by Knfcollector »

JimBrown257 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:15 am Are you talking about something like this? It seems like they weren't sure how to use their new rotary tools. Whenever I see one I think "Bruce Willis keyed it!"
Than just makes me sick to see a beautiful knife defaced like that