Paypal Updates.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jackalope

Paypal Updates.

Post by Jackalope »

I read today of some of paypal's updates to their policies. We need to get creative in what we are selling on the "Buy and Sell" sub forum.

"Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law."
JulesVane

Re: Paypal Updates.

Post by JulesVane »

My Gosh! That list could cover just about everything, depending on how one looks at the purchased item.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I've had several recent purchases via PayPal blocked. Had to go credit card. Also European firms not accepting US addresses for shipments.
john

Post by john »

Never mention what you’re selling or buying.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
button_man

Post by button_man »

I wonder if I could sell my mortar case without any trouble.... it could be designated "an accessory"
Attachments
120mm__9960.jpg
120mm__9960.jpg (294.56 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Could it be any more vague where it should be specific ? Intended to be a "catch all".
Mario

Post by Mario »

Thought this had been their policy for a while. Was the knife-related part a recent change?
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

I agree with John, never mention what you’re buying or selling. It’s also my understanding that the buyer should use the “friends or family” option...

From PP: If you’re sending a payment, payment types include:
Sending to a friend and family - used when sending money or a gift card to a friend or family member. Before you complete a payment, you can opt to pay the fee, or pass it onto the recipient to be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.
Paying for goods or service - used when buying an item or service from someone. When you make a purchase, the seller pays a small fee to receive your money. Your payment is covered by our protection policy automatically.

However, using the friends or family option may prevent you from getting payment protection. (Does that sound correct?)
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

WheelingWV wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 am However, using the friends or family option may prevent you from getting payment protection. (Does that sound correct?)
That is correct. I think a lot of people think that constant use of Friends & Family is pulling a fast one on Paypal but it isn't (those places invented the fast one; they do not leave chances for us users to pull any fast ones on them). The business option with the 3% fee is just so you get that protection if there is a dispute. If you want to take your chance and pay no fee then you are just out of luck if you get ripped off.

On that subject, I am sure most of you have heard me go on and on about this one but I argue (and can show the math) that it is never beneficial to ever use the Business 3% fee option...ever. Basically, I have found that disputes happen less than 3% of time. Therefore paying 3% more every time would actually leave you coming out behind in the long run. If anyone doesn't get this I can elaborate.

Actually, there is another way PP benefits from us using the F&F option. When you use business option, they are taking it from your bank or credit card and getting 3%. But when you use F&F you avoid the fee by paying with a balance you keep in your account, I would imagine that you leaving a balance in your Paypal account makes more money for PP than taking 3% from an outside payment, With the balance left in Paypal, they have that money to invest, which I am sure gets them more than 3% return.

As for that bit where Paypal doesn't allow certain knives, anyone who has seen my work can clearly tell they are modern art pieces meant to represent gender diversity in the work place and social justice for the under privileged. The media will be very interested to find that Paypal doesn't support these values.
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Thanks for the clarification JimBrown257.👍
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

I believe PP now does a 1099 when your PP balance gets to the $600 threshold.
Knfcollector

Post by Knfcollector »

TazmanTom wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 pm I believe PP now does a 1099 when your PP balance gets to the $600 threshold.
Only in certain states. Mostly you need to exceed 200 transactions AND $20,000 in sales