Scale needed

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
niceguy2

Scale needed

Post by niceguy2 »

Any help here would be great, I can possibly make one from a larger model knife that matches
Billyfish

Re: Scale needed

Post by Billyfish »

Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

The handles in your link Billy are stag. Niceguy2 needs a picked bone handles. Not the same.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Okay ebay then. :)
Seller is globalwoods.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Rare knife that new jigged bone pattern probably won't match well.

I have jigged my own a few times but even if you get it to look good I never did worth a damn at matching color so always ended up doing both sides. This was never on a rare knife though. I'm sure niceguy wants it to look original.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Well, I tried.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 pm Rare knife that new jigged bone pattern probably won't match well.

I have jigged my own a few times but even if you get it to look good I never did worth a damn at matching color so always ended up doing both sides. This was never on a rare knife though. I'm sure niceguy wants it to look original.
What did you use as a tool WhipperS. ? A rotary tool never looks correct when I’ve tried it
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Billyfish wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 pm Well, I tried.
Thank you for your reply
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I used small carbide burrs. Seems like I had the best luck with a small 1/8"shaft ball end burr. This was years ago before I had a Dremel so I used an air powered Dotco pencil grinder from my tool and die days.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

niceguy2 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 pm Any help here would be great, I can possibly make one from a larger model knife that matches
Making the scales from a larger scale doesn't always work out like you would hope. Not to mention that you would have to find a pretty rare replacement.

Have you considered having one of the higher-up repair guys try to patch that missing section? You've seen what they can do.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

JimBrown257 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:15 am
niceguy2 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 pm Any help here would be great, I can possibly make one from a larger model knife that matches
Making the scales from a larger scale doesn't always work out like you would hope. Not to mention that you would have to find a pretty rare replacement.

Have you considered having one of the higher-up repair guys try to patch that missing section? You've seen what they can do.
Ya , i can do a conservator type restoration on it and make it look decent but would be my last choice. i have a little patience so..... maybe ill find a needle in the haystack !