Wasp Dagger grind

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Dr-Dave

Wasp Dagger grind

Post by Dr-Dave »

Hi everyone, I found this little beauty recently.
Its similar to the Latama wasp body however it has Lock tab like the Frosolone, the spring also has
a curve cut into in so it misses the sear when closing. I actually haven't come across a real (vintage Italian) dagger grind blade, There is no tang stamp which makes me think it could have been a prototype .The liners inside the bolster ears are cut square half way up the inside, so the ears (made of brass) are thinner at the top.
Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave.
Attachments
IMG_9139.jpg
IMG_9139.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
IMG_9130.jpg
IMG_9130.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
IMG_9125.jpg
IMG_9125.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Last edited by Dr-Dave on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris51P

Re: Wasp Dagger grind

Post by Chris51P »

That’s a great looking vintage picklock that has multiple sought after features. Wasp body, flat lock tab, dagger blade, all brass pins including the pivot pin, flat ear guards, unusual spring design and earless liners... these features make for a very unique knife. Very, very nice! You state that it does not have a tang. I think that u meant to say it has no tang stamp. Which means that it may have been made for the Italian market and not for export. Or like u said, a prototype. You may have something that could have been brought back from WWII. That’s a hell of a knife. Hope Bill sees ur post as he probably can shed some light.
Dr-Dave

Post by Dr-Dave »

Cheers Chris, I really only collect true vintage pre '58 , so when I found this it shot straight to the top of my collection.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Dr-Dave wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 pm Cheers Chris, I really only collect true vintage pre '58 , so when I found this it shot straight to the top of my collection.
And rightly so. That would be the center piece of my collection also. Once in a lifetime catch.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

That's nice!
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

That’s a great find and a very interesting knife.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Nice piece ! i saw one very similar in a box with some other military items on auction recently.....
thom

Post by thom »

That is a great and different piece. Can't wait for Bill to chime in.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm no expert on these old knives, but I can tell you it's at least pre-WW2. Maybe older.
It's a great knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Wow, that is nice! I would guess it's a 1930s knife.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

There is no tang stamp which makes me think it could have been a prototype .
What a great looking knife and collectible. That is a really good one. I am sure it is rare. I have seen about 10 flat guards made in the 1930s and none had a maker's mark on the tang. I think during this time period, a lot of them were unmarked.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Great brass flatguard, congrats!!! That's a very rare knife. A handful or so of them out there with a dagger blade and traits like yours. Only know of one that is stamped. Nice find!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Notice the large safety cap!
Dr-Dave

Post by Dr-Dave »

Sorry to confuse (Chris) My whereabouts. I actually live in Spain and purchased this knife directly from Italy. I will try find out the city.
Also contacted Walt from Latama, His opinion is that-
"The thinness and material used, brass, of the top bolsters and low position of the safety indicate it was made in Frosolone Italy, in the late 40’s.
This could have been a prototype made for Latama. Production in Maniago was not enough to meet demand might be one of the reasons Patricio Pasquale reached out to friends in Frosolone for help."

Thanks for looking, I will post some more pictures of another knife today I haven't heard of "Kerper"
Last edited by Dr-Dave on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I'm amazed at the condition.... somebody treasured this knife, and took care of it.